Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that there aren't many differences between the 289 and the 302, but I bought a water pump at the Long beach swap, a Weiand 8210. I like Weiand's pump design because the straight flow. I tried to put it on my car (302) and the power steering bracket and the alternator adjustment bracket doesn't match. is there any kits out there or do I have to go the fabrication route?...

p.S no i dont want to buy another one haha

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks good man, nice Merc by the way... What engine you got? 351? I'm not having as much of an issue with the alternator bracket as I am with the power steering pump. The hardest part is getting the pulleys to match up. I'm going to take some cardboard and make a mock up to start off, then maybe see if I can find a junk yard match before I start welding.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably in the wrong forum for these type of questions anyways, I need to talk to some of my buddies on hod rodders.com about it....does anyone know where to get heavy gauge steel plates?? IT turns out that it isn't as difficult as I presumed...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah, its a straight shot, better flow, for bette rcooling...I even have a matching aluminum radiator

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have a LH inlet pump on my racer because I wanted to use a universal (Ford Mopar) aluminum radiator.
I had to cut, bend, reweld the OEM 1967 alternator bracket. No PS.

You could use the brackets/pulleys/balancer from a 1970-73 model engine. The small blocks came with the LH water pump outlet.
Probably the best option if you don't want to fabricate and keep everything OEM appearing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh it gets better, i tried to retro fit the pulley and voila, the added water pump thickness pushes it out by half an inch so it doesn't align with the crank. I have definitely laid down a difficult road for myself, but I've never been about the easy way out. I'm thinking of pirating a pulley with a deeper sink to line them up...the hunt continues....

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
oh it gets better, i tried to retro fit the pulley and voila, the added water pump thickness pushes it out by half an inch so it doesn't align with the crank. I have definitely laid down a difficult road for myself, but I've never been about the easy way out. I'm thinking of pirating a pulley with a deeper sink to line them up...the hunt continues....
And you'll find when you try to change the crankshaft pulley that the original is three bolt and the lateer model is four bolt.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the pick a part in Wilmington today and found a few 70's 302's. They all have left hand water pumps but I'm having an issue finding one without the A/C pump in the way. My buddy has a 1977 maverick and he has the exact brackets that I need, so at least I know what I should be looking for.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That will help - may be part #'s on them?....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've struck gold in the pick a part....I went earlier on Thursday morning for the half off sale and found the brackets I needed. The alternator brackets came from a 1977 Mercury Monarch but it had A/C so I couldn't get the power steering bracket from that car. Then I went into the Ford trucks section and found a 1978 E350 box truck with the right power steering bracket. I'm going to keep the original brackets stashed just in case I want to go back.

2 problems down, one more to go....my only issue now is finding a water pump pulley that matches the crankshaft pulley. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I've struck gold in the pick a part....I went earlier on Thursday morning for the half off sale and found the brackets I needed. The alternator brackets came from a 1977 Mercury Monarch but it had A/C so I couldn't get the power steering bracket from that car. Then I went into the Ford trucks section and found a 1978 E350 box truck with the right power steering bracket. I'm going to keep the original brackets stashed just in case I want to go back.

2 problems down, one more to go....my only issue now is finding a water pump pulley that matches the crankshaft pulley. Any suggestions?
Yeh, go back to the pull-a-part and get the lower pulley, balancer, and water pump pulley. Too many pulleys and brackets over the years to depend on luck for finding the right part. Get everything off the same motor.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i found a pulley from a Ford E250 Cargo van this time that seems like its working out. I might have to do some more fine tuning with some washers in some of the bolt holes. The alternator is completely hooked up, but the belt is now too long. I'm not certain if they sell v-belts at different lengths or by vehicle.

As for the power steering pump, I found a bracket that bolts to the water pump but not to the PS pump. I stopped by the steel mill today and bought a steel plate to fabricate the new bracket. I made a hybrid version of the bracket out of paper, I sprayed paint over the holes of the old brackets onto paper, then cut it out and test fit it. So far so good....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay so I scrapped the fabricated metal bracket idea. even after i made it the pulley still didn't align and it was too thick to bend. So I got a whole new bracket and power steering pump from a good ole' 74 Mercury Cougar! The bracket was a bit too big, but it matched the water pump. I cut out about an inch and spot welded the bracket back together. Now I have to measure for the v-belt, retro fit everything, and if its good, then weld the bracket together.

My pick-a-part treasure hunt is almost over...then on to the M90 supercharger set up....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
success! everything is back together and welded firmly in place...I started it up and it runs like a champ...now on to the brake upgrades...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts