Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been restoring cars for more than 30 years and through those years I have had a lot of variable experiences with weatherstrip. You rarely find NOS parts in that department anymore, so we have to deal with reproductions, some good and some not so good. And then some totally useless.

As a result I would like to open a tread where we all tell about our experiences we might have with weatherstrips for our cars.

First out is my experience with the MU CONVERTIBLE TOP WEATHERSTRIPPING KIT

A few weeks ago I replaced the top on my 70 Cougar convertible and I bought a set of convertible top weatherstrips from Mustangs Unlimited.

These weatherstrips has molded in screws to attach them to the top frame. When I was trying to install them I discovered that the screws where significantly shorter than the screws on the original ones. I was barely able to get the screws through the stamped steel pieces on the frame and hook on the nut, but for the rear casted frame sections the screws were way too short and even when a friend pushed the weatherstrips as hard as possible to the frame I was unable to get the nuts on. I somehow managed to get them attached to the bows, but had to do modifications I disliked doing and it took me at least a couple more hours to get them installed than I am used to.

When it comes to the rubber quality used in these weatherstrips, it is much harder and stiffer than the original rubber. I also noticed that the front side pieces were not the same size as the rest and as a result they did not seal the way they should where they met the door glass.

All in all I think these moldings were poor quality. I asked MU what supplier they used for these, but they did not want to tell. I have used Scott Drake's kits before and they were trouble free and good quality parts. So even if these at MU are less pricey, go for the good stuff at parts suppliers like WCCC for a good fit and trouble free installation.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Gry,

I can speak to this since I recently put together my 69 convertible, Isabel. The top weatherstrip kit I got/had was made by Carpenter and while I did not find the studs to be too short, I certainly found that the rubber is too stiff and the studs locations such that I had to drill new holes in the top frame in some cases to put the weatherstrip where it needed to go. Even after messing with things for a couple of days and adjusting until I was blue in the face, I still cannot get good sealing of the glass to the top weatherstrip.

The repro A pillar weatherstrips are not much better, but liveable. I found and bought a NOS one for the DS and will remove the repro. Would/will buy a PS too if I could/can find it.

I do not completely agree that Scott Drake's stuff is better than others, in some cases it is as bad or worse, sometimes it is better, it really depends on the part. I would say that for any given part there is a story, a "skinny" on which is the best one to use, in some cases the answer is NOS or suffer with inferior quality, fit or whatever the problem is making the repro part or parts less than the original(s). The top weatherstrip you speak of is one of those parts. WCCC is a great place to find out "the skinny" on a given part, and that is a differentiator of the business they run. To quote John Benoit (DrCougar, words to me when asked), NOS is "the only way to go" for convertible top weatherstrip. So, after buying repro and trying like heck to make it work, I managed to find and buy a set of NOS weatherstrip for the top of Isabel. Not cheap at $325 but given its relative unavailability, money well spent I suppose. Another $125 for the DS A pillar one. Will let you know how things go with the NOS when I have a chance to install it.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
another area for bad rubber is the seals that go on the door jam where the window come up---both on the door and the body---i got some from mustangs plus that were junk---after voiceing my displeasure i was told i could have gotten drake stuff for a couple of bucks more---the drake stuff was ok but not like the origional---i think one should be very careful when disassembling your car--some of the rubber stuff may be worth reusing
the a/c box gasket set and mode door seals are terrible--i used industrial self adhesive foam that worked well (mcmaster-carr)
the rubber bumper fillers are not good---don @wccc says so too-----i found some nos stuff @ valley vintage---kinda pricy but they fit
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I will be able to fill in alot of you convertible guys here soon about a set of reproductions for the top.I had already purchased for a car that my buddy is getting a full up restoration on the car. I got the reproduction kit for the top frame from WCCC.

I luckily when I picked up the stash of Nos part a while back found alot of NOS weather stripping and have been able to do the rest of the car with NOS as people keep telling these stories of reproduction not being all that great.

I will say,that most of the convertible NOS weather stripping has gone,but I do have 3 more small pieces for a convertible top,I have 2 header seals,and one good used set of door pillars(appear to have been on a car at some time,but still in good shape). I will say this I have alot of door window felts for 69/70,the ones that go on the door,and ones for the door panels in NOS>) and I have alot of the 67/68 door felts for the windows. If your reproductions dont work email me. I also, have some 67/68 door seals that I guess go on the bottom of the door and really I havent seen them on any car that has ever came in here,but a bunch of them in tubes,and some other seals Im still trying to figure out what they are. I have a couple pieces for 71-73 convertible cars too.Dont give up some guys still have original weather stripping out there.

Ill let you know how the WCCC kit on the top goes. Everything else is NOS on the car for weatherstripping that we have planned.

One question is I need all new rubbers strips for the front fender and rear extensions,do the reproductions work fine(im about to put a order in for them) or do I need to find a good used set??

Ill let you guys if any other NOS rubber seals pop up in this stash.
Good luck
John

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
John,

The extension seals work find. You do need to cut a V in the inside when you go around a tight corner otherwise they push out too much and make it difficult to get the extension flush with the quarter or fender.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
'69 Quarter Window Seal

I've had the same issue on two cars and 3 vendors. The repro quarter window seals are slightly wider between the bottom screw holes than the originals. 1-9/16th vs. 1-3/8th [69 XR7 Convt]. Not sure who manufactures or whether there is more than one version on the market. Workaround involves leaving out a screw or drilling a new hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
We had trouble with the trunk lid seal. First installed a Drake unit. The trunk lid sat way too high and nothing we could do to make it sit even with the sides. So I pulled it out and installed a Carpenter; perfect fit.
The 2 seals are both shaped different and have different texture; the Carpenter is softer so compresses more.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
We had trouble with the trunk lid seal. First installed a Drake unit. The trunk lid sat way too high and nothing we could do to make it sit even with the sides. So I pulled it out and installed a Carpenter; perfect fit.
The 2 seals are both shaped different and have different texture; the Carpenter is softer so compresses more.
And you did install the opening of the "C" profile of the weatherstrip facing the right way, same as original, correct? I am having trouble remembering I think the opening of the "C" goes inward.

Mine was Carpenter as well and fits perfectly.

Thanks for posting this, it illustrates my point exactly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts