Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is my 1st time actually replacing weatherstripping. My question involves the roofline weatherstripping. What I need to know is: does this weatherstripping actually get glued in or does it just sit firmly in the chrome channel. The old weatherstripping came off pretty easily and didn't seem to actually be glued in place. This is on a '67 btw. Anyone that's replaced this weatherstripping b4, please help. I want to do this right, the 1st time around. Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
was gonna go down there today to do this and was wanting a little feedback. Can anybody be of assistance?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
if you are going to use glue, get a tube of 3M weatherstrip adhesive, yellow (gorilla snot) or black. i use the yellow.
it is a contact type of glue, so apply to both surfaces then let it tack up a bit 'bout 5 - 10 min then attach, beware that after it has tacked up is is veeeerrrryyyyyy adhesive, once it touches is is stuck good. dont put together wet, it wont stick good. I think i did not use any on my 67 tang eccept a bit on the ends maybe. It is great for the door (on the door) seal and trunk seal. you might want to practice on some junk pieces first, to get used to the glue. 3M only...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
they are glued.. i like the 3M black adhesive though.. hides with the weatherstripping a bit if you get sloppy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've got a diagram of the weatherstrip setup for that section. I'll check it when I get home later tonight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would definitely use glue...3M products seem to be the best. If you don't use glue, the weatherstripping will fall down occasionally. As mentioned in a prior response...the black stuff blends in better if you get into trouble and apply it a little too heavy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey 67, I put a scan of the diagram for this weatherstrip in the photo gallery because I think it is too large for this section. The numbers of interest on the picture are: E- glue areas and 2 - foam tape .12 thick entire lenght. Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
weather strip

use a little 3M wetherstip adhesive but not too much or it will ooze out and look bad. if you don't use any your roof rail weather strip will fall out going down the road at hwy. speed with the windows down! Also start at the front. put in the screw first and work toward the back of car, no need to stretch it either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts