Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cougar is gradually wearing me down. I've put in my time, daily driving my 68 since 2004, but it seems that time is creeping up on both of us. It started a few months back with a flexplate replacement project that wound up having me ruin the front pump, requiring me to pull the trans in and out twice. Then the AOD started acting up- second gear has gone missing. A few weeks ago, a rod-sounding noise awoke. I spent the better part of two late nights on my back on the garage floor getting dripped on only to discover the crank had recently been reground and all of the bearings were just fine. I can't begin to describe how stiff I was the next few days. Indifferent to my pain, my 68 continued to make noise, prompting me to tear once more into it this past Sunday. I spent all day stooped over the front of the car changing out the timing gears and chain along with the fuel pump. I soaked both myself and the garage floor with an incredibly slick combination of transmission fluid and antifreeze. Cut my hands to a bloody mess on the remarkably razerlike fins of the flexfan. Still the sound persists. (but it does run much better-- the old timing gears were nearly destroyed). Yesterday, I was so sore from stooping and my hands so sore from wounds inflicted from that stupid fan I could barely stand up when my client's case was called in court. It hurts to type this.
Today, going home for lunch, my AOD has started something new to torment me-- it has decided to become a one-speed. Sure, I've got another AOD sitting here. I'll just pop that in quick, hopefully finish it before I drop over. :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Time to get a Toyota Camry from the 90's and let her have the winter off. Give it a rest and you will have a whole new spirit towards it all in the spring and the pressure to get it done quick will be relieved. You really drive it in the snow all winter?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Time to get the Badshoe video and the Haynes manual and learn how to build that AOD right. It'll save you in the long run.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yep, gettin older sure does suck big time. I used to really enjoy working on cars, but the advancing years are making it tougher. I can only lean over that fender for alittle bit at a time without having to take a break and straighten up. Changed the water pump on a 1988 Town car, Did it over the weekend...took saturday to remove old one, and sunday to put new one back on.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Cheer up, every day is another chance for perfect. There are turds in the world that float around and it was just your turn...tomorrow it'll land on someone else.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
To quote Clinton: I feel your pain....My next big shop tool investment will be a hoist. Have you pin pointed from where the sound is comming from? Use a large screwdriver and hold your ear up to the plastic handle and hold the flat end on the engine. Go around to different spots and see if you can locate from where the sound is comming from. Avoid the spark plug wires... Double check your fuel injectors and lifters. If you think it is lifter related. I can send you a free set of Ford roller lifters if that would help. I don't remember your engine year and setup.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Not to be a downer, but if you drove it for 6 years with no major issues til now, you've done very well. Back in the day these cars helped people maintain relationships with their local mechanics for a reason.
It's just time for all the parts to start wearing and failing.

I'd say "me too" to what Don posted. I got a little Corolla to DD with until I find a suitable replacement for my car that actually developed life ending rust. I drove mine through the worst of weather and paid dearly for it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jody,

You haven't described the sound for us, where it sounds like it is coming from, under what circumstances it occurs, hot, cold, accel, decel, things like that. The mechanics stethescope (or even a long screwdriver) can be of assistance.

On the trans thing, I would have that spare AOD rebuilt, then and only then would I swap it in...

A "descent into madness" can be descriptive of more than one way of being with our beloved cat's. There's mine where the car will be more or less new when I am done, and theoretically devoid of such "wearing me down" behaviors, and then there's yours which apparently involves little things that wear on you over time. There are pluses to both, I like my way but it is not practical for a lot of people.

You can overcome, I am confident. Remember when you told me you were going to have your children pray for me? Look at how far I've come (and where I am going). You can get over this hill if you want to.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bob

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. This afternoon I'm going over to my client's shop to change out the transmission. If you never hear from me again, you may assume that transmission is also bad, that I snapped, and pushed the car out into highway traffic.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
all i have to say is make damn sure that you have that tv cable adjusted right or that aod is toast!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Brother I have been in the trades for 22 yrs I feel you and your back. I used , and I mean used, my 68 as a daily driver from 83-88 and then the problems came. Back then I could'nt rub two nickles together so she sat. I picked up an 81 honda and that began the restoration for the coug. It became my baby and the second car. These cars can drive you nuts especially if your a type A personality (Got to get it done NOW) Take Don's advice and you will enjoy the coug that much more.

Respect
PB.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I will say that I enjoy my old cars much more these days. Now that they are "pleasure only" & I don't have to rely on then as DD-ers. I like hopping in my new-ish truck & hitting the seat heater biutton. Cars have come an long way in 40 years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I read about a rod-type noise right after reading about you having the trans out twice my first thought was "I hope the torque convertor nuts were tightened back up..."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts