Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In regards to this thread:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?52208-Weak-Horn

I'm not much of an electrician BUT, using the instructions included in that thread I have come across a problem. When I hook everything up I have NO horn. I even pulled the cover off the horn electronics (I have a Grant steering wheel) which should have made the horn come on constant but nothing. I hook everything back up the way it was and I still have a horn but weak.

So, I followed the directions EXACTLY and the above has happened. What could be causing this? I have a 30a relay with a 30a inline fuse. There are two items I'm not too sure about, the ground and the inline fuse.

For a ground I'm using the negative terminal on the battery itself. I have the inline fuse hooked up to the positive terminal of the battery. Everything else is connected to the right relay numbers.

One question I have is, should I be grounding it to the battery or should I be using the horn ground?

I should mention I have after market horns due to the OEM's not working correctly. The way they are hooked up is, from passenger side to drivers side - each horn has two leads on them:

lead 1 = ground lead 2 = oem wire lead 3 and lead 4 = oem wires

PIC_2149.jpg PIC_2150.jpg

I used the left pic horn for the connections. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Paul

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
First run this test

Remove lead 3 and run a wire from that terminal to ground
Test the horn

If it worked then wire up this way

lead 1 and 2 leave as is
lead 3 and 4 connect together on the right hand terminal
run a wire from the left hand terminal to ground

Good luck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Leon, it failed. I hooked it up as you suggested to "try" to see if it works (step 1) and I ended up having no horn.

NEXT....!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
You are probably better off grounding the relay to the body

Do you have a test light or multi-meter to test that you are getting power from terminal 87 on the relay when you push the horn button?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts