Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear friend Ruben Lopez passed away this morning from a massive heart attack at age 48. Ruben grew up in Corpus Christi, TX. His dad, Ruben SR bought a Dan Gurney Special 1967 Cougar new. When Ruben was old enough to drive his father gave him the car. Ruben eventually modified the car into a SCCA Group II sedan class race car. It had a Boss 351 engine and 4 speed. Ruben had it up to 141 MPH at Texas World Speedway at the Texas Shelby Nationals meet around 1987.

Ruben and Al Owens were partners on a 1968 Cougar drag car. With a 410 cubic inch FE and a C6 the car ran low 12 second ET's ...... with Ruben's wife driving!

Ruben also owned two Eliminators. One was a 1969 Calypso 428CJ car, the other a 1970 Grabber Green 351 car. He owned a 1968 GT500 Shelby for the last twenty years. He named his daughter Shelby too!

Great guy, Ruben helped me a lot, we will miss him. I am proud of the fact I was able to do a burnout at his wedding in my 1967 XR-7. Wish I could go to Texas and do the same at his funeral. Ruben would appreciate that.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend Royce. He sounds like he was an avid Ford guy. It is always hard when a friend has to move on.

sorry.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow...I send my sincerest condolences...such a young age too. :( Sounds like he did the Cougar family real proud and it doesn't seem like he will be forgotten...

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Celebrating his life...

My thoughts, as well as many others are with you tonight Royce. Such a young age to leave our world. You have lost a friend just as many of us do, but as you speak of him it sounds that you have much to talk about and celebrate his life.

My thoughts go out to everyone whose life he touched; especially his family.

Brian

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
SORRY FOR THE COMMUNITY LOSS

A good friend will always be missed and as long as we remember them from time to time then they will never be forgotten.
And we must always remember,
None are lost to GOD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts