Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know that this is exceptionally minor compared to what some of you have done, but I just successfully replaced the turn signal switch, and I have right and left sequential turn signals now!!!

One operation down, four or five thousand left....

Just wanted to share with an appreciative group

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
We have left turn signals!!!

(For now!) :D ;)

The sequential turn signals are the bane of us classic Cougar owners. Having a fully functioning set should be a source of pride!!!! Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Congrats! As the Fram guy says, "There's nothing like a job well done."
:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
evilmess said:
Where did you aquire your turn signal switch from?

how much $?
Mustangs Unlimited, $65 I believe. Please don't anyone tell me that I seriously overpaid!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
wooooo hoooooo your almost a true cougarnut Thats two stripes out of three

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
In case your wondering.... aligned and working headlight doors is #3...

Don:1poke:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
texrep said:
In case your wondering.... aligned and working headlight doors is #3...

Don:1poke:
Working, yes (mostly... they don't work at all with the engine off, so I guess I must have a vacuum leak in the reservoirs, yes?)

Aligned, no... where can I find hints on that?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
According to judging rules from CCOA (and from my memory of a year or two ago), the headlights should be able to close for up to 15 seconds after the engine is off. If the car has been off for a while, the covers won't open (and aren't supposed to). With the engine on they should open within a couple of seconds. Be VERY happy if your covers open and close reliably with the engine running!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
greggieatthebat said:
According to judging rules from CCOA (and from my memory of a year or two ago), the headlights should be able to close for up to 15 seconds after the engine is off. If the car has been off for a while, the covers won't open (and aren't supposed to). With the engine on they should open within a couple of seconds. Be VERY happy if your covers open and close reliably with the engine running!
OK, consider me happy then.

Mine shut with a relatively loud KA-THUNK! Is that expected?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On my '68, the driver's side used to slam open and stay open, and the right side would slowly open and (usually) slowly close (sometimes it would stick). I've seen the doors open quite violently, but those are usually the ones that get stuck (if it opens violently, it doesn't close automatically, if it closes violently, it doesn't open automatically).
Check me on this, but I think they originally opened and closed very smoothly. My Cougar had some "bushings" mounted on studs, but I don't know if they are original, modified by PO, or installed by PO. Maybe your "bumpers" are missing?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wait... the covers wont open and arent supposed to after teh engine has been off a while?? is that just for 67/8s? my 69 will pop the covers up when i pull the switch even if its sat overnight. hell after i turn the engine off and pull the switch, i can get them to open, close and open again. ( if im lucky i can get them to close once more... slowly though )
oh yeah.. i have a thunk when i open the lights too... it sounds like the left door hitting something... not sure what its hitting or if it even has bumpers there... any ideas? where are the bumpers on a 69 supposed to be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts