Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"WCCC TV" Needs Sugestions On How To Install 1969-70 SS Wheel Window Inserts

I want to do a little "How To" video on installing these stainless inserts into the 69-70 Styled Steel Wheels we sell. The new owners of Specialty Wheel (Coker Tire) will not install them, their reason being? It's too hard... Waaa, somebody call the waaambulance! Since it is too hard for the manufacturer to install them, they think the consumer should do it... I have used a block of wood and hammer to bend the tabs over from the backside, finished with crimping with channel lock pliers and a protective cloth. Anyone have some other good techniques? The factory used a rubber gasket to prevent rattling, scratching of the paint, anyone have a go-around since the repros do not have the gaskets?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Re: "WCCC TV" Needs Sugestions On How To Install 1969-70 SS Wheel Window Inserts

I solved the problem by buying Magnum 500's.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: "WCCC TV" Needs Sugestions On How To Install 1969-70 SS Wheel Window Inserts

Don,
Have you tried to use the "rubber lining" that is used for outdoor ponds, weatherproofing. I think you be able to cut into strips the may be able to protect the paint and provide some rattle protection as well.

Paul

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Don:

I had this tool made up years ago. It is made of machined aluninum, and has a handle on it. You slide the insert on the tool, insert the tool handle-first into the wheel opening. You can easily bend the tabs without damaging the insert, and then on to the next one. I think I've used it about eight times all told, but it came in very handy. I used thin, adhesive-backed rubber to keep them from rattling.

Sorry it isn't a great picture, but the opposite end of the handle where my fingers are has a relief shaped like the insert.

Randy

Wheel Tool 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Don:

I had this tool made up years ago. It is made of machined aluminum, and has a handle on it. You slide the insert on the tool, insert the tool handle-first into the wheel opening. You can easily bend the tabs without damaging the insert, and then on to the next one. I think I've used it about eight times all told, but it came in very handy. I used thin, adhesive-backed rubber to keep them from rattling.

Sorry it isn't a great picture, but the opposite end of the handle where my fingers are has a relief shaped like the insert.

Randy

View attachment 23300
Wow! Wasn't expecting that... Do you have the Rotunda Tool part # for that one Randy?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

It isn't an official tool. I had it made by a machinist when I lived in Indianapolis.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts

Don,

Good Morning. I'm the machinist that made the tool (as a favor) for Randy Carlson. I made a few of them, years ago, and still have an extra. A paint can lid opener is used in conjunction with the support tool to lift the retaining tabs for removal of the stainless insert. During reinstallation of the inserts, the tool supports the insert when bending the tabs back over. Give me a call if you would like the details.

Gary
765-674-4079
765-661-3078 (Verizon)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts