Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Time for yet another fun-filled technical video. I was debating about whether to post this in the Tech section, but they seem to get more attention here in the General area. Maybe it's just the subject matter? :bloated:

Anyway, while our sales guy Lin wasn't looking, we rolled his car into the shop and tackled a job that he had been putting off: replacing the carpet. We used the high quality, mass-backed carpeting from Auto Custom Carpets. This stuff is nice. It's actually heat molded to fit the contours of your floor, and has some thick bonded-on underlayment / insulation. It does take a little more work to install, due to the extra thickness, but the results are worth it. Here's hoping that this video will give some of you the courage to tackle this job yourself. Enjoy! :wave:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
nice, don forgot to mention one thing. make sure you dont poke your helper from underneath with the awl!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It must have taken a while to put it in. You appear pretty well clean shaven in the intro and by the end you have the moustache and facial hair back.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
So whats the word on the sound deadening after install. Looks like good stuff. I am sure that it lays down better and smoother than the other stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I actually never drove it and a few days after after the video was done someone walked into the shop and would not leave until Lin agreed to $10k. I do not think Lin drove it 20 miles with the new carpet in! Being a bone stalk 2V it was not loud to begin with and we have yet to have a 90 degree day here this year.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Looks like lin is back to square 1 again on a cougar.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Excellent video! I'm tucking this nugget away in mah brainz for future reference, when I finally have something to apply it to (the nugget, not the brainz ~ although even that is debatable).

What did Lin have to say about his build sheet?

Also, regarding the surface rust on the passenger floor, did you do anything to it?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Nice video, I think this is the 4th or 5th time to watch this video. How about a how-to install a headliner video in a '67-'68? John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great video Don, I put that carpet in my car a few months ago and the installation went very well do to the fact that it is moulded perfectly. I am sure that due to how heavy the carpet is it would have been really tough if it wasn"t moulded. I am really happy with the look and quality of the carpet, it is much more plush than the lighter original. When I was ordering the carpet lin had said that you had not sold much of the mass backed carpet and were not sure how it would fit in a console car due to its thickness, if you have not been told yet, I can say that it fits really well around the console. There was no problem with it being to thick to fit the console under the dash. I think it is nicer than original. Thanks Don for anouther great product for our cars. Terry

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, Don, a great video. When I install carpet, I use the screwdriver/awl locator trick as well! I think I'll use the mass backed carpet the next time I have to install some. It definitely looks worth the small amount of extra effort.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Excellent video! I'm tucking this nugget away in mah brainz for future reference, when I finally have something to apply it to (the nugget, not the brainz ~ although even that is debatable).

What did Lin have to say about his build sheet?

Also, regarding the surface rust on the passenger floor, did you do anything to it?
We just left it alone. It was caused by a leaking heater core that has since been fixed and was not serious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts