Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this will prove to be the best one yet! It all starts Friday August 5th at 1pm. Open house here at WCCC, buy parts, wander the yard, mingle, snacks will be provided. At 5pm we caravan over to Brian Aust's place in Silverton for a BBQ until dark. From there you can set up your tent at WCCC or check into a local hotel in Keizer, Silverton or Woodburn area. Saturday the 6th we all meet at Antique Powerland for a Car Show. This is a free event for anyone with a Cougar, free admission into Antique Powerland which includes the famous "Steam Up" going on that weekend. Do check out the pictures, this place is amazing and the event is the largest of its kind West of the Mississippi. It is located right off exit 263 on I-5 (same exit you take to go to WCCC). If you are worried about dust, this is not the place for you! This is a two week event that features operating machinery and demonstrations everywhere at all times, even the 100 year old machine shop WCCC used to operate out of in the late 90's has been moved to this facility! Got classic car parts and antiques to sell? There is also a swap meet at the same time. Nobody gets bored here, too much to see in one day so you might want to stay until Sunday. RSVP ASAP if you want to go to Brian's place (and have something to eat). No RSVP needed if you want to show up at WCCC on Friday or go to the Steam Up on Saturday but preordering is advised as we will not have time to pull large orders or orders that include many used parts.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
You're also welcome to camp out at my place Friday night..just thought I'd add that in case it gets dark on anybody ;) Just message me to confirm. I have plenty of Grass and parking space available..

And trees for pottie ;)

Just to get some juices flowing..

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
One of these days... i'll get to see something like that last picture... sigh!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'll be missing it, but for a good reason - I'll be in Hawaii! I would just say to anyone who is trying to decide if they want to attend... DO IT! IT IS A BLAST! I attended last year's gathering and had a great time, and from what Don is describing, this year sounds like it will be even better. First, you are going to get to see lots of Cougars in one place, and meet some people who are otherwise just names on the message board. You'll get to see for yourself the mecca of Cougar parts. Cruising in the Oregon countryside with other classic Cougars on the way to Brian Aust's place is an experience that you will definitely enjoy. Then, there is the Steam-Up. People who enjoy classic cars also probably enjoy classic farm machinery too - and this display at Antique Powerland is just awesome. If you're on the fence about attending, I would encourage you to do so.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this display at Antique Powerland is just awesome. If you're on the fence about attending, I would encourage you to do so.
And to add to that, on premises is the Fire Truck Museum, Caterpillar Museum, Texaco Gas Station Recreation, 1800's Saw Mill Recreation, Train Station, Truck Museum and at least a dozen more major attractions! To see it all in action is a site to behold, they actually harvest crops on site with 100 year old machinery.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think for next year Don should look into moving everything further east. Just temporarily of course. I'd be willing to compromise and come to IL or thereabouts. You can even leave the yard behind, but you have to bring all the parts. And Brians house too. :buck:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Memories from last year..

I always love hosting a group. It was a delight to show off the latest updates on Gunner, and get people their beers and soda pops. Kids out on the trampoline while us dorks stand and look over the simplest/weirdest of debate topics (should that fender have holes in it? Is that gonna hold back value?) (are those trim rings supposed to be shiny on the inside or brushed?) (aren't those tires supposed to have Redlines? You're gonna use BFG tires on a concours car!?) Scott B. notices a couple of trim pieces upside-down..

It was SOOO hot out there..Saturday afternoon we all just laid around like a bunch of dogs under a shady tree. And the thought of going to the Ford Drags and show Sunday, which was also forecasted as very hot and muggy, didn't turn anybody's trigger. That place is baked in the sun, especially with a huge drag strip attracting even more heat. It's very cool to watch in spurts, but we'd mostly all just experienced it in '09..

So then we went inside to gather around the TV and watch the GEARZ episode featuring WCCC (West Coast Classic CougarS!) and by the time we got outside again, it was very pleasant. Most folks of course had to be gettin' going, as it was really getting dark. But the nice cool evening sparked everybody's excitement to talk Cougars a bit more..most ended up rolling in pitch dark anyhow. It is always a treat to see a long line of Cats coming up the driveway and driving away, each and every visit. Where is that video that got shot of the drive over, anyway?

It gives me tingles.

Oh, and the homemade ice cream (cranked with a steam powered motor!) is really really tasty.. :)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This year having it at Antique Powerland on Saturday will be much better if it proves to be hot. Lots of shade and lots of kid friendly activities.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting closer! If you have not done so drop us a line to let us know if you will be attending Friday, Saturday or both days. Looks like the whole week will be perfect weather.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Me and the Mistress will be there Fri, can't stay for Sat. Hey Brian got any 8 Tracks you want to trade I could bring some with me!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You're also welcome to camp out at my place Friday night..just thought I'd add that in case it gets dark on anybody ;) Just message me to confirm. I have plenty of Grass and parking space available..

And trees for pottie ;)

Just to get some juices flowing..

Brian, is that your black GTE? if so, what is it that is so different with the rims and tires that looks so much better than others with OEM rims, is it just the tires?
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don, the last I heard James was planning on being there unless his work schedule changes.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Man, I'd love to sneak out of work on Friday at lunch and drive down. Don't have a Cougar to show off (yet), but it would be cool to drool all over you guys' cars :)
Not sure that Wife would be keen on that tho :-/

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Brian, is that your black GTE? if so, what is it that is so different with the rims and tires that looks so much better than others with OEM rims, is it just the tires?
Thanks,
Dennis
Those are the full=Chrome 15s from WCCC ;) yes they look good, IMO!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I think the cruize to my house ought to include going through the middle of Silverton, this time. It is "First Friday", which is a Monthly celebration/car club gathering, stores all open late/music..pretty festive. It'd be fun to have a bunch of Cats buzzing through town in the middle of it all!

Just a thought ;) Can't wait to see the group! Has it been a year already!??

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Me and the Mistress will be there Fri, can't stay for Sat. Hey Brian got any 8 Tracks you want to trade I could bring some with me!!!
Richard, you must have missed the memo..I've replaced "Sandy" with yet another Gmas car..but it's just an AM ;) Sorry to betray you like this!

She went to a very very good cause. (I'll tell you about it when you get here )

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the cruise to my house ought to include going through the middle of Silverton, this time. It is "First Friday", which is a Monthly celebration/car club gathering, stores all open late/music..pretty festive. It'd be fun to have a bunch of Cats buzzing through town in the middle of it all!
Bonus! That will be cool...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts