Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The posts have been lack-luster here on MC.net to say the least so we at WCCC thought we would liven things up a bit. We just got in a roach of a 1970 Grabber Green 351c / 4spd Eliminator. Not much good on it except the pedals, spoiler, front and rear sway bars, camera case dash panels and fuel door but to the right person with a solid donor car, talent and a fist-full of cash she could live again! The good news is, it is a Western car so no frame rail or torque box issues but make no mistake, the car is a parted out poop-box and it will take a talented, passionate person to tackle this one as dollars and sense wise, it will never pencil out... Since it is missing a bunch of parts, we are going to hang some grade B sheet metal, grille and other goodies so at least she will resemble a "kind of" complete roller. At first we were just going to pull the berries, knock it the head and pitch it in the pile but in all our years we have NEVER scrapped an Eliminator and I just do not have the heart to make this the first... After we chase out the rats, yank the red velour custom interior and spruce her up a bit we will post the Marti, lots of pictures, a video and unveil the "Coca-Cola" aspect of the prize (Hint, I collect Soda-Pop memorabilia and signs). No purchase will be necessary, only open to MC.net members (new and old). The contest will be in the form of an essay and will basically have a theme of "Why I should be the one to take on this project". Warning, your theme should not be "Because I have no cash" as it will take some serious cash to get her going... (Have you priced out a 1970 BOSS 302 / 351 Cleveland Top-loader lately?) Not good at writing? Bonus points for a well done video presentation. WCCC will pick the top ten finalists, MC.net members will in the end pick the winner. Stay tuned for details!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: WCCC 1970 Coca Cola & Eliminotar Give Away / Contest Ends 12-31-2011

This sounds awesome. Makes me wish I had a big garage and tons of cash.

That'd be my essay. I don't think I'd fare well. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

i have tons of parts, a big garage, time and cash for this baby.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

I've got the winning essay already. "I'll buy all the parts for the car from WCCC."

But seriously, can a family member submit an entry? My youngest may want to give it a try, but he's technically not an MC.net member. He's only 10.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I've got the winning essay already. "I'll buy all the parts for the car from WCCC."

But seriously, can a family member submit an entry? My youngest may want to give it a try, but he's technically not an MC.net member. He's only 10.
Sounds good to me! Our goal is not to make a long list of rules and regulations but to save a mangy cat from the crusher... You ECI's are going to have heart failure when you see the car and will wonder why someone would even contemplate hauling it to the bone yard.

·
Registered
735 Posts

I'm reading over your post Don and all I can visualize is a beautifully done grabber green 4 speed Eliminator! I have to force myself to read, digest and comprehend the "not much good" and "poop-box" sections!

Guess not much has changed since I went looking for my first Cougar 36 years ago at the tender age of 15!

That really is my dream Eliminator!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm reading over your post Don and all I can visualize is a beautifully done grabber green 4 speed Eliminator! I have to force myself to read, digest and comprehend the "not much good" and "poop-box" sections!

Guess not much has changed since I went looking for my first Cougar 36 years ago at the tender age of 15!

That really is my dream Eliminator!
Sounds like a good start to an essay! I think more than one will claim it their "dream car". Lin has pined for one in this color of E-cat for years and he is actually the one who bought it Friday while I was paint balling with my 14 year old son and his pals. Painful when you are the largest, slowest, oldest target on the field of 50 guys...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

When I saw the title of the post, I thought you had found one of the Coca Cola cars that were prizes in a (raffle?)
This sounds like it will be fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts

When I saw the title I immediately assumed it was a trick, like this one, and the prize is actually a Minotaur wearing an Eliminator t-shirt.

(warning, while safe for work, the link does contain a Hooters waitress)

·
Registered
2,739 Posts

"Eliminotar" really?!? From the Cougar Donald himself?:1poke:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!! I can't wait! This will be fun. When and where do we send our essay, in a letter, or email to you? I love this stuff!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

I'll wait for the 69 conv 428CJ give away contest then I'll write a awsome essay on how it should have been mine....:1poke:

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have been talking to a local body-man who says work has been rather slow for him as of late and is willing to tackle this project. We are going to sweeten the pot and offer his services at $30 per hour for up to $20k. WCCC will pay half the tab, (materials will be the sole responsibility of the winner). To see a sample of what this body man is capable of check out the work he has done on the rear window channel of Andrew's 68. In addition, WCCC will fly the winner out to visit us and check the progress of the car for free. We will provide one round trip airline ticket from anywhere in the world, 1st class if you are in the continental U.S. and coach if you are out of country. As a side note, we just popped open the trunk for the first time today and were pleasantly surprised... MINT trunk floor, PERFECT tail panel and RUST FREE rear window channel! Some cars just get worse every time you lift a trunk mat or poke with a screw driver, this is one that just keeps getting better! BTW, the vin on this cat is 0F91M541710, will post the Marti soon...

·
Registered
735 Posts

Geez, I wish there was an art component to the essay :)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

A local body man doing the work seems kind of at odds with the flavor I got in your original post, Don. But then, being the ECI, I tend to look at things through my own eyes (i.e., do 95% of the work yourself).

I was initially thinking I would be able to make a good case for me being the right guy (but not sure if I would want to), but after your latest post I am not as sure.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

A local body man doing the work seems kind of at odds with the flavor I got in your original post, Don. But then, being the ECI, I tend to look at things through my own eyes (i.e., do 95% of the work yourself).

I was initially thinking I would be able to make a good case for me being the right guy (but not sure if I would want to), but after your latest post I am not as sure.
Don't have a clue where you are coming from Bob but no need to explain yourself as Moderators of MC.net / WCCC employees and suppliers to WCCC are not eligible to win. The body work being done here is just an option that some might find appealing as finding an expert body man with almost 40 years of experience for $15 an hour is (in my opinion) a nice bonus. Unsure about who is doing the body work? WCCC will pay for your round trip airline ticket!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Fixed the thread title.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

Fixed the thread title.
I know that you are extremely busy and unappreciated, and I hope I am not violating any rules of order, but I thought I would help out by suggesting that since you have your spell checker all warmed up you take this opportunity to repair the hole/whole me/my, punctuation, et al on that other thread. If you have time of course.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
WOW - cool idea Don! Should be fun for sure. I'm trying to imagine where I'd find the time with my house half tore appart/a flood house still waiting for construction/and my desire to build a 56 or 56 F100 in the next few years? Hmmm - That's an awesome price from your body man! Outstanding work from the looks of it! Still, I'm a DIYer at heart. Getting the dirty work done is appealing though - cowl/torque boxes/frame issues/floors.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts