Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will West Coast Cougar's reproduction small block running cat valve covers clear a rocker stud girdle? Here is a pic of the stud girdle that I need to clear. Don says they were modified to clear roller tip rockers, but this is definitely another step further. Does anyone know if this valve cover will fit over this set up?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Well, I don't have that set up, but I have to think they will not clear, without a spacer...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Yes, they look rather tall... Maybe if you measured from the lip of the head where the valve covers rest to the top of the rail we could tell you what height of spacer you should buy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they look rather tall... Maybe if you measured from the lip of the head where the valve covers rest to the top of the rail we could tell you what height of spacer you should buy.
I just texted the engine shop and asked them for that dimension. I hope to get an answer this afternoon. The picture I posted is the engine they are just wrapping up now, my engine will be using the same heads and valvetrain. My engine is in progress but not that far along yet. We might be out of luck if they shipped it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The shop says the covers need to be 4.5" tall, this is an outside measurement including gasket and fins. They are peaked, see pic below. Inside dimension would be 4.5" minus a 1/4" thick gasket and fins. His educated guess is its 3 3/4" tall inside, my guess would be a little over 4".
Valve Cover0043.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW - spacers cost that much! -- OUCH!! The girdles are making pent roof type cover your only choice I think ED - or overpriced spacers I guess...OOFTA. Ribbed for her pleasure...? Not so much - LOL

how about these (I think they are nice looking..) http://forums.corral.net/forums/windsor-engine-parts/1346590-afr-cnc-engraved-sbf-valve-covers.html
I don't much care for the price of those spacers or the extra joint to leak oil on the headers. I appreciate your suggestion of those valve covers, but since my heads are not AFR trhey would be inappropriate. I was hoping to keep it looking vintage under the hood, I really don't want the welded fabrication valve cover look. I suppose I could ask the shop to dial the cam back so I don't need the rocker stud girdle, but I hate to give up the power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts