Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems getting watershields for my 69. I tried autokrafters who were out of stock and after two weeks I canceled then because Stang-it said they had them so I ordered them but its been two weeks and no delivery and no answer when I call. Dose anyone know if mustang coupes are the same? I know I can get them but I'm not sure if they will work. Thanks

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Mustang is not the same.Do you need the frt or rear shields for your fenders I may have em Ray Also L or R

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need the whole set Ray. You dont carry new ones do you? Logan, Watershields are the waterproof sheets that are glued to the door before the door panels are installed to keep the door panels dry.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
OH those water shields I thought you meant the ones for the fenders.I do have new ones here.I paid about $15 for the set of four.You can order online from http://bwautoparts.com .I do not have the part # in frt of me but if you email Arlene at B&W she will take your order for them.Tell her I sent ya.If you still cannot find John Benoit must have em at [email protected] or maybe www.ponycarstore.com or email me back for further instruction Thanks Ray

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now you understand why I asked if mustangs were the same. I think they are.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I spoke with my Mustang supplier this morning and we decided that the Cougar ones are different than Mustang because of the taller door panel on Cougars.I can get them for you for Cougar if you still need em Thanks Ray

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ray, I still have them ordered from stang-it but its been over 2 weeks and I havent recived them and I cant get ahold of them. I will give them a couple more days and then thats it. I just thought that if mustangs were the same I could get them from the Paddock who have a wharehouse right here in Indiana. They dont mess around when you order from them and I could have them in 2 days max. I am just ready to put my door panels back on and didnt want to take them off later to put the watershields on. I will get ahold of you if I dont get them my next mid week.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Watershields

I have them in stock for $13.00. They do not come with the "plastic bubble" for the door light area. John @ Cascade Classics (253) 863-5669

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks John, if they dont show up in another day or two I'll give you a call

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Mark I would take John up on his offer for the $14 as he'll get em to ya quicker than I.Mine also have no plastic bubble.In the past I made door liners from poly and only recently discovered they are available in repo_One thing is the fit is not exact at the top ft corner so a slight trim may be nessesary.No problem you'll see :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply Ray. I dont care who I get them from as long as its soon. I'm ready to get this thing done. I was going to make some out of some water proof paper that the steel mills use for wrapping steel coils for shipping, but I dont have any right now and I sure am not going to wait till I'm working near a shipping dept again to get some. Besides its not worth the hassle for under 20 bucks. I'm pretty sure I'm done with stang-it though, the bad part is they wont answer the phone.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
CG130 is the 69/70 # and CG129 the 67/8#.Have heard similar complaints about your vendor but never heard a complaint about John Benoit.Best o luck:cool:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
For the other water shields...

...the ones inside the front fenders (actually called splash shields), I didn't like the dirt and crud getting caught on the underside of my front fenders and asked my buddy if there was another way around the problem.

I have a good friend who has worked in the parts department of one of the local Ford Dealers. I looked through the parts catalog (and their storeroom at the dealership) and came upon a solution. I found that the late '70s Granada plastic front 'turtles','wheelwells','inner fender liners' or what ever you want to call them... well, they work OK as a basis to start with for making a full inner wheelhouse for the front fenders of my '73 Cougar. They required a little trimming where they meet the stock Cougar inner fenders, but they work! They fasten all around the wheel lip area using the same trim screws that hold on my wheel lip mouldings, and a couple of plastic 'push-pin' fasteners hold them to the inner fenders nicely. I'm sure you can modify them to fit the earlier years as well.

This same friend was invaluble to me when I was restoring my car back in the '80s. I was able to look therough the parts catalog and order anything I needed (and some spares) while it was still available. You know those front XR-7 emblems that go on the '73 grill shield that sell for well over $100 these days? Seven bucks for NOS back then. I think the quarter pillar emblems were around 12 or 13 bucks each. I still have a full set of NOS wheel lip mouldings, rear valence panel(!), and ther odds and ends. I even traded the Parts Manager a set of wire hubcaps that came on one of my parts cars for a mis-labelled NOS right door skin for my 'beta' 73 Cougar (it was labelled as a Mustang skin).

Ask your friendly dealership parts guy to use the obsolete parts locator to see if you can still get some of the parts you need. You might be surprised at what is still out there in the warehouses and dealerships across the country!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, they finally showed up tues. Got the int finally done except the front seats which are out getting the new upolstery put on.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you think? I tired to attach a photo but it wont show up. Whats wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know what the name of the adhesive that is used to secure the watershield to the door?I found a part number (ESB-M4G73-A) from the Jim Osborn interior assembly manual reprint,but not a name.Is this item still available from Ford?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I think it is called Mastic putty but I may be off on this one.I often will use a few dabs of seam sealer or similar product.Not slicone though.I've also used small pieces of tape along the top edge to secure to door so when I have to open up again the watershield won't be torn.Remember to tuck the bottom of the watershield into the slots on the bottom of the door.OK Catz ya

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used 3m auto bedding & glazing compound, as that is what all the vendors recommend. It comes in a tube for a caulking gun and only sells for 6.95. I got mine from The Paddock musclecar parts. 1-800-428-4319. You can probably have a local auto parts order it for you, but if not I recommend Paddocks as they are fast, reliable and resonably priced. (unlike stang-it) The Paddocks dont carry cougar parts but they are a good place to get the mustang parts that are the same. Rays idea about the tape on top helps hold them in place while you put them on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks guys,you've been a big help.Apparently the factory never tucked in the bottom of the shield on my doors.Oh God I hope it isn't a Friday car.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts