Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after changing my ignition switch, door locks, battery, a donut gasket, and working a bit on the electrical, I took the cat for a spin last evening. I started noticing a squeal coming from under the hood. After getting home and listening a bit more, it sounds like the water pump is sqealing/grinding, I guess it is the bearings going out. Does that sound right? Could anything else be doing it? At idle, it isn't that bad, but if I hit the gas, or stay at sustained RPM's, I can really hear it. My belts are nice and tight by the way. And it isn't overheating...yet. Any thoughts? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have never heard a WP squeal, but I have fried plenty of Alt bearings and it is just as you describe. If the WP bearing is going you should feel play in the shaft.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
There should be a hole on the main body of the pump where the shaft comes out. It faces up on most. Look for that hole, if it can be seen that is... If your pump is trashing the seal, water will be seeping from the hole.
You can also take the belt off, grab the fan and feel for end play in the shaft by "wiggling" the fan or shaft up and down.
Of course, if the pump is old you could just go ahead and replace it.
I've had bearings get smoked and squeal on my cleveland. But only after racing or lots of heat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My water pump had a squeel and faint grinding sound about 2 weeks before it went out on me. At first mine was louder at low rpm and gradually went away as I accelerated or revved, but over the next coupld of weeks the sound remained at all rpms.

I removed my manifolds and added Hedman Hedders one weekend and took it out for its inaugaration run and the water pump catastrophically failed. I believe the pump seized because the housing basically came apart and coolant went everywhere in the engine including sucked down the carb...

Replace the pump ASAP so you dont have to sit waiting on a tow truck!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
That probably sounds like your water pump. The squealing is probably from your belt since the bearings are locking up. I learned the hard way. I was driving to work and all of a sudden I smelled rubber burning and squealing from the belt. Then a bang and a bunch of steam. WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!! I got out of my car and and water was just gushing out of the front of my car and making a antifreeze river down the highway. I opened the hood and the whole fan and shaft was cocked sideways. The water pump went out soo bad, it took out my radiator!!! Luckily my uncle lives not to far away so I drove it as fast as I could so it didn't over heat. It took out only one core and I got it fixed fast and cheap. The repair guy just closed off the core tubes that were damaged. The bad thing about it is that I didn't even hear any warning sounds a week or two in advance, it just went out. Maybe my car is too loud to hear it?? Or maybe I am just stupid and don't take car of my car that good? Anyway, atleast you had some warning. Get it fixed fast!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're scarin' me MeanMerc!! I had to to drive it today...I say "had" like I hated it :) though I didn't want to cause of the possibility of the pump going out. Anyway, it ran fine on the highway, but after reading your post, I pictured myself cussing on the side of the highway with steam and antifreeze everywhere. Sooo, I think I'll surf on over to summit racing and order my pump. I was wanting to do the radiator, tranny cooler, shroud and pump at the same time. But guess the most important thing is the pump right now. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If your pump does go out, I want to hear how bad it goes out, hahahah. Kidding. Since reading my comment, it makes you think a littler harder and be more cautious. Right?? Sorry to scare you. I think my comment is the worst possible thing that can happen.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Start pulling belts. Remove AC and Smog belts (if they are still there) and give it a test drive. Then, pull your PS belt and go on a test drive. Next, put the PS belt back on after removing the alternator belt. If the sound stayed through all test drives, it is the water pump. Otherwise, the belt removed is driving the soon-to-fail part. I've done this on 351W and 351C engines, but it will work on any engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
use a stethescope or listen with a long screw driver held to the water pump or alternator, the one with the horrible noises wins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts