Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! we were on our way to a local car show in the cougar! cruzing down the highway and digging on the radio! To my surprise temp reads 220 not good! Come to find out it broke a belt! To find out the water pump bearing seized up!After a mirical of gettnig the car home without trailering! It now has the nickname HELZA! So the aluminum water pump is on its way! Sooo is the timing chain cover a big deal to change while im in there? and please dont tell me the oil pan has to come off for that! Any input would be great!and what type of gasket sealer works good?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You can get a timing cover gasket set that includes just the oil pan gasket corners, front oil pan end seal and the cover-block gaskets. BUT, I have to say that it is a PITA to get the end seal in there and not have an oil leak!

I've found a way that works for me, but it may not work for you... I cut the end flaps off the end seal and apply a goodly amount of Ultra Black to the corners. No leaks yet!

BTW, those aluminum water pumps might not be an exact fit for your application. I bought one for my car, painted it up, bolted it up and found that my accessory brackets don't fit the new pump. I now have a nice blue aluminum pump sitting on the shelf in the garage...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts