Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the parts store cannot seem to find me a 351w pump w/o heater hoses lines on it, and my engine also has them, so which ones are better to use? :bloated: block or pump lines?

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i need to know what was stock? using the ones off the pump, or off the block. on the block i have one on intake and one on thermostat housing and also one on the lower right front of block, then 2 on the pump :bloated: so what goes where?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
There should be a short elbow hose called the bypass hose that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing. The heater hoses themselves go from intake manifold to heater core, and the other from water pump to heater core.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ok so whats the one for on the lower right corner of the block? theres an outlet that used to have a heater hose on it. weird, i think ill just cap it off.

·
11,000 Posts
There is a short lie from the intake manifold to the water pump. It serves the function of bleeding air out of the heater and engine, and you need it.

ok ok so whats the one for on the lower right corner of the block? theres an outlet that used to have a heater hose on it. weird, i think ill just cap it off.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Lower right (passenger?) corner of the block? Pics would help!

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
same position as the fuel pump but opposite side, its a water port with a 5/8 nipple for a hose. never seen that before.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
On a '69 351 W the radiator return hose is located on the lower right hand side of the water pump. Is that what you are seeing?

·
Registered
418 Posts
You may have the wrong water pump..
Need pictures or a Shrubbery.. maybe both.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Seems to me that a 351W and a 289/302 are about the same. If so here is a pic of my 68 302. If they are different my apologies. The small 90 degree elbow hose is hidden by the upper radiator hose but you can see the bottom of it. Hope this helps.

Chris

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, here is a pic of a racing block but i circled where i have the water outlet on my block. this block is from a 68 fairlane and i guess only made for like 1-2 years and has different things on it so who knows. ill just cap it off again.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The hole in the side of the block is where the negative battery ground cable is attached to the block with a large bolt. This is not a water outlet location.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as i said, on mine it was capped off with a heater hose and plug. i removed this and water pours out. its NOT a threaded hole, its a water port. maybe on other blocks its a bolt boss but not on mine.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Marine block? Post a picture.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Digital cameras are inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.