Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on goes sorting thru the issues of the cougar! Doing some wet sanding on the cat I dumped some water down the passenger side cowl to find the floor board on that side soaking wet! Thats sure not gonna work! So whats the fix to that one??? This is a 68 . Again any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Sounds like a leaking cowl.

On 67-8s your gonna have to remove the cowl panel to repair the rusted areas.1 of the prone problems with the 67-8s cougars and mustangs.69-70 had the cowl panel removed to access the wiper motor.But iy can be done if you take your time and drill out all them spot welds.

thanks
Pat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hope your handy with metal. The most likley problem is a rusted through cowl vent. There are acouple of ways that you can go about this the proper way is to replace the rusted metal by removed the upper cowl panel. This is extremely labor intensive but, can be done. The second way and almost as difficult is to remove the fender and cut sections out of the side of the cowl to access the hat sections. I did that route and would NOT advise it. The cowl patches never fit quite right and just looked like crap under the dash however it did work and doesnt leak. Also it took just as long as removing the top cowl would have. Best of luck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Other than what the other guys are saying, if you have factory air, there is a condensation vent tube made of rubber that mounts to the bottom of the a/c box and to a hole in the floor....it looks like a small accordian tube...if this is missing or rotted, it may be your problem....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's a pic of the cowl removed on a '68 Mustang. We salvaged the top, but are using a complete upper and lower repro on this one. You will have to save the top off your Cougar. One time I think I counted 150 spot welds. It's a messy time consuming job, but can be done!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts