Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it rains, I get a small amount of water dripping along both the driver and passenger kick panels. Looking through the cowel with a flashlight as best I can, I do not see any rust there.
Might these leaks be coming from elsewhere?

Also; when it rains I get water in the trunk, both sides of the gas tank. Both sides are rusted and wet. The trunk seal is new. The wheel wells do not have rust. Where might this water be coming from? (Are the wheels kicking the water up into the trunk through the rusted areas) Can I just have the rusted areas cut out and replaced or is it more prudent to purchase the repair parts and have them welded in?

Is the cowel hard to remove for further inspection? Should i just live with the leaks?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Unfortunately the cowl is a muther hummer of a project to undertake. It's often the cause of that kind of leak. your car have a vinyl top (or had one?)? Sometimes around the base of the windshields under the trim it gets rotted out. Could also be from underneath in the wheel wells or around the take/trunk drop offs/etc. you can slow down the cowl leaks simply by putting various coverings over them until you get time to deal with it. There used to be a guy on ebay selling some magnetic ones that actually looked kind of nice - with a running cat on them. I have also seen plento of Lexan ones that have a gasket type of seal and a tensioner type holder to grab the fins (like a drywall type T fastner - only thin)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is the leak bad? I had new glass put in mine wine it was repainted and new seals etc. About three years later i had leaks down both kick panals and assumed that I also had a bad cowl. I put in the passenger side "hat" cowl repair piece (did not find any evidence of cowl rust) and the leak did not go away, What I did was pull the seats and put a sprinkler on the roof and waited, about twenty minuets later I found water coming through the windshield seals at both corners. A little sealer stopped it for now and will redo the glass this winter. Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your trunk leaks could also be from the rear glass/ body seal. I had one in my 69 after just having the rear glass refitted with a new seal, and mine turned out to be insufficient sealer applied right across the seal/ glass/ body join. (Sealing the bottom corners is a real pain.) It was a frustrating task attempting to pin it down and I ended up resealing all around the body/ seal/ glass and it finally went away. Good luck with your search, Catnip!

Peter Lynn

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have tested and found leaky cowls just by pouring water in the cowl. Do not pour too fast whereas if the drain holes up under the fenders are even slightly plugged with leave debris etc. the water can back up and run over the cowl hat and onto the floor. In fact it would not hurt to try and blow those holes clean. However it is really hard to do and be sure of without taking the fenders off so that you can see the exit holes I am referring to. I rebuilt the cowl on mine and it is a royal time intensive pain to drill out those 200 plus spot welds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts