Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being here in nj the paint shop i used had to use water based paint on my 70 vert said they did three coast of clear but i am finding after sitting for a few months in the garage the paint seems very chipable especally on my front extensions.

it's back with them to fix some orange peel problems but i don't want to have paid for something that's going to give me problems down the road, not after all the work i we've put into it, to say nothing of money.

where did the old american work ethic of doing the best job for the money. do i live in a different world?

jene

·
Registered
39 Posts
Best way to find a shop is word of mouth. I've worked in "high end" shops that did poor work and "low end" shops that have done great work. Really no way to tell unless you've seen some of their jobs. Best thing to do is talk to the shop that did your work, tell them your concerns and the answer you get should give you an idea of how much they value your business.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
go to some cruise inns and car shows. Ask those who have gone before you.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
As I understand the Water base paints, ALL car companies are using it, at least that's what I have heard. They aren't having the chipping problem, so something is a-miss. IMO It isn't the water base paints, often it is what's under such. If it didn't GRIP its foundation, well it will chip a lot easier, again IMO.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Sounds like a preparation problem. What brand of paint did they use if you don't mind me asking? It does not sound like the paint itself is the problem but if you have some pictures post them up.

My Mustang is painted with waterborne. No problems here with adhesion or appearance.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Steve, are those Cop wheels?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Indeed they are. 17x7.5 wheels up front (stock width, backspacing modified) and 17x9 in the rear (widened). I also have my spiffy "DARE" front license plate :D

Sorry for the thread jack!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys i'll follow up on your questions and mine. yes i've got concernts as they painted my 67 and sanded the chrome strip between the rubber window moulding on my doors. tomorrow i'll take it off to be rechromed. where is the responsibility of people? am i alone in this world?

jene

1 - 8 of 8 Posts