Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
SCJ not in a 68

slim chance said:
I got the information about the 68 shelby GT500KR out of a shelby history book i read a few years ago and the late 68 ones (aka 68 and a half yes there was a half year in 68 for mustangs for those that didnt know) had a more powerful version of the 428cj known as the 428scj super cobra jet and that book is where the aprox horse power ratings came from also they did motor dyno on those cars not chassis back then. Ive done a lot of research on the 60's mustang i use to live eat sleep and breath mustang. then i got a cougar
The 68 1/2 mustang is no diffrent than the 68 1/2 R code cougar. Before the half model year the 428 was the PI. That same motor is in the non KR 68 shelby's. The 428 SCJ came when you ordered the 3.91 or 4.30 gears in a 69 or 70. The difference between the motors is that they used LeMans rods, a crank snout mounted "hatchet" balancer, a slighly different piston and an oil cooler. Theses changes were made to account for the potential higher revs when using the high gears.

There is no real difference in the block, compression, cam, heads, intake, carb or exhaust manifolds. There was no difference in the HP ratings.The SCJ was available in any of the same cars that had the CJ availalble including Cougars in 69 and 70. There are guys on this forum who have SCJ Cougars including several Eliminators and at least one convertible. No stock 428SCJ ever dynoed at 500hp. I live eat and breathe Cougars, and there was never a V8 engine available for a Mustang that was not put into a Cougar. The reverse cannot be said of the Mustang. As I said before, don't believe evrything you read.

Reactions: Art

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I think Royce "may" have has cleared things up

It does make sense that with a single exhaust this motor will put out 230 HP ..
But , if you think about it, why would Ford build a HI PO motor with 10 - 1 compression, 4 v motor with single exhaust & make dual exhaust an option ?? :confused:

I know that stranger things have happened in the muscle car world so to speak..

Also this info explains why another poster to this thread noted that in stock form these motors were slugs so to speak but with some easy hot rod mods they were pretty impressive.. .:cool:

·
Registered
341 Posts
J code single exhaust

I own a J code 68 mustang fastback. My car did come factory with single exhaust and 4 wheel manual drums, but the rest of the car was ordered with deluxe inner and outer exterior options (more for show than go I guess)

I've since dumped the single and ran dual. I've also upgraded to 4wheel power disc brakes. Too bad its been sitting in my garage for 5 years.

Todd

·
11,000 Posts
The 428SCJ was not available until the middle of the 1969 model year. It was first installed on the assembly line in December 1968. So there were no 1968 Shelbys equipped with the SCJ.

Also, horsepower is not increased with the SCJ. Only engine durability is improved by the addition of stronger connecting rods and the oil cooler. Because of the heavier rods a different crankshaft and harmonic balancer and crank snout spacer were used.

Typical 428CJ / SCJ horsepower in stock form on the dyno is around 400.

Read the real story here:
http://www.428cobrajet.com

slim chance said:
I got the information about the 68 shelby GT500KR out of a shelby history book i read a few years ago and the late 68 ones (aka 68 and a half yes there was a half year in 68 for mustangs for those that didnt know) had a more powerful version of the 428cj known as the 428scj super cobra jet and that book is where the aprox horse power ratings came from also they did motor dyno on those cars not chassis back then. Ive done a lot of research on the 60's mustang i use to live eat sleep and breath mustang. then i got a cougar

·
Registered
280 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
The 230 hp J code 302 came with single exhaust. Dual exhaust was optional on any of the 302's unless they were in an XR7-G. All XR7-G's came with dual exhaust.
So, do you have one? Can you show us one? So far we have Todd who has a Mustang with single exhaust, but that doesn't count. There must be thousands of J-Code Cougars out there without dual exhaust. Where are they? Somebody must have one! Somebody must have an original dealer invoice that lists dual exhaust as an option. Let's see it!

·
11,000 Posts
John,

I don't own a J code Cougar right now but I have owned perhaps five of them in the past out of the 70 plus 67 - 68 Cougars that have dripped oil on my driveway thru the years.

I do still own the original 1968 Cougar dealer ordeing guide and the Master Parts Catalogue and the Factory Shop Manual. Perhaps you have a factory shop manual? Look in the exhaust section.

John Zeissig said:
So, do you have one? Can you show us one? So far we have Todd who has a Mustang with single exhaust, but that doesn't count. There must be thousands of J-Code Cougars out there without dual exhaust. Where are they? Somebody must have one! Somebody must have an original dealer invoice that lists dual exhaust as an option. Let's see it!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
The 428SCJ was not available until the middle of the 1969 model year. It was first installed on the assembly line in December 1968. So there were no 1968 Shelbys equipped with the SCJ.

Also, horsepower is not increased with the SCJ. Only engine durability is improved by the addition of stronger connecting rods and the oil cooler. Because of the heavier rods a different crankshaft and harmonic balancer and crank snout spacer were used.

Typical 428CJ / SCJ horsepower in stock form on the dyno is around 400.

Read the real story here:
http://www.428cobrajet.com
Checked It out and I am a man that is big enough to say I was wrong. I checked a few places Its one of those days you think you know what you know and slap your knowledge changes.(one starts to questions ones memory) So I apoligise to Paul for thinking I knew better and to others that I may have misled. from know on I will double check my information even if Its something I thought I absolutly knew about any car. Thank you guys for setting me straight and not letting me go on ignorant.

Reactions: Jan Ove

·
Registered
280 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
John,

I don't own a J code Cougar right now but I have owned perhaps five of them in the past out of the 70 plus 67 - 68 Cougars that have dripped oil on my driveway thru the years.

I do still own the original 1968 Cougar dealer ordeing guide and the Master Parts Catalogue and the Factory Shop Manual. Perhaps you have a factory shop manual? Look in the exhaust section.
Hi Royce,

Yes, I've read in the Mercury literature and elsewhere that dual exhaust was an option on J and F-Code cars. It was proposed in this thread that dual exhaust was inluded in the J-Code option. That got me thinking that I'd never seen a '68 Cougar of any description (F, J, whatever) that did not have dual exhaust. I simply asked if anyone here has a '68 Cougar with single exhaust. So far nobody has directly claimed to have one. Are you saying that of the five or so J-Codes and the seventy +/- total that you have owned some had single exhaust? If so, how many, and what were they? This is a simple empirical question. I don't have any big beef about this issue; I'm just a little surprised that nobody on this forum has yet presented an example of a single exhaust '68 Cougar. Surely, there must be some.

I was also puzzled that dual exhaust did not appear in the options list for either of the '68s for which I have original dealer invoices. Both are F-Code, and both undeniably have/had dual exhausts as I described. Below is the dealer invoice for 8R91F507260. This car was bought new by my father-in-law, was in the family for fifteen years, and it definitely had dual exhaust with H-pipe. If the dealer got $9.60 for the remote ctl left hand mirror, $30.25 for tinted glass, etc., why nothing for dual exhaust?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Did 68 Cougars have the extra bracing under the back seat to support the extra weight of dual exhaust (like the Mustang)?

·
11,000 Posts
Only the XR7-G J -code that I owned had factory dual exhaust.

It's easy to spot the non factory installations.

I probably have owned 18 - 20 F codes. None of them had factory duals but virtually all had dual exhaust.

Art said:
Did 68 Cougars have the extra bracing under the back seat to support the extra weight of dual exhaust (like the Mustang)?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
Only the XR7-G J -code that I owned had factory dual exhaust.

It's easy to spot the non factory installations.

I probably have owned 18 - 20 F codes. None of them had factory duals but virtually all had dual exhaust.
After looking at the shop manual it's obvious that none of the cars I've owned had anything like what's shown there for either the factory dual exhaust or single exhaust. The H-Pipe from the headers to the resonators in the dual setup is familiar, but from there on back completely different. I've never seen either of the factory setups on any Cougar. The factory exhausts must have been replaced as soon as the cars went in for muffler service, never to be seen again. May they rest in peace!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I should have been more specific. I meant same manifolds. BTW, my J-code has duals with an H-pipe. Was that the factory setup?
All J-codes had dual exhaust, flat top pistons and 4300 carbs. The 4300 carb was tricky to set up so a lot of owners ditched the 4300 autolites for a Holly 550 or 600 cfm.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts