Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a 69 steering colum cover that bolts up on either side of the sterring wheel colum at the bottom of the dash.Black would be nice but any color will do.I can only find ones with one end broke off. Dan

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
join the club i have six of them all broken at one end. right side? all mine right side.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lets make some

I saw on Hot Rod TV a guy make a fiberglass mold out of plaster for headlite covers.Im ready to try it.Do you think that is a er,mustang part? Dan

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
covers

Nope Mcars not same as Cougar this part. If you have the broken tab weld it on w/methylene chloride

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
read the MSDS sheet and wear your PPE (personal protecrive equipment) I cant help it, I'm in the Training, Safety and Environmental Dept were I work. Methylene Chloride is what
I used to use to glue plexiglass to plexiglass. Its amazing stuff.
That was a long time ago when I used to work at a sign shop, back then PPE was hold yer breath and squint.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
toxic

mmm are you saying avoid skin contact and vapours then? No sheet here just a small bottle from plastics shop.Skull and crossbones on it but thats it. I am using a mere few drops at a time in a bottle with a needle attached. Its what I was supplied with. Thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Make and weld a tab from a left tab donor off another one maybe

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i THINK i have one on the 70 ..... ill take a look and see if its useable

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
70 is diff than 69 and diff again from Mustangs.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
DOH!!! ill still take a look. someone else may need it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its mine!

I got 1st dibs sixty9.I really dont want to go in to the fabrication business.Know what I mean Vern?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well the computer works now, so ill go and take a pic or two of it in a sec. then you can see if its similar enough

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you mean this right?? bad news is that one ear is broken on it, and there is a crack near the center of the column support thing, but i do have one....

Attachments

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Yes 6T9 thats a 70 cover. Use the methylene chloride but don't breathe or get any on you to repair.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think johns classic cougars makes new repos now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks anyway

sooner or later I will find one Why are they all broke? they must have tightened them all down to much at the factory.Its always the same side.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine tab is broke too, but I did it hehe, I have a bad habbit of overtightening, I always worry, did I tighten that enough? Hrmm.. better take it another turn... cccrraaccckkk!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Tightening

Chris Just do the metal parts up real tight. With plastic and cork gaskets you really want just a little pressure to keep contact or as you know crrrraaaaaccccckkkkkkkkppppp:( Methylene chloride wear your radiation suit. Catzya

1 - 20 of 20 Posts