Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accepted the offer on the GTO tonight. So by mid next week I've got room for my next car. I've decided to narrow my Cougar search to 1969 and 1970 XR7's with a 351W or 351C, preferably a stick, but automatics definitely will be considered. Power steering and brakes are a plus. Must be a rust-free, never rusted, straight, as close to original as possible. The interior must be very nice and original. It needs to be a good running and driving car that would be considered cruise night quality. No project cars, no heavily modified cars.

My most desired combination would be a Dark Ivy Green 1969 XR7 with any color interior except green. Thanks for any leads you may have.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I appreciate the leads, unfortunately both of these are standards. I really want a XR7 hardtop. The first one looks pretty tired but i might follow up since its a hardtop. The second one looks pretty nice but it is a standard convertible.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So Don what I think I'm reading is that someone bought the car the other day for 1200 obo and now is flipping it for 3500?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good luck on your search Ed. I've been looking for a red candy 69 or 70 with black interior and a black vinyl top for two years now. Starting to think I'm being too picky...but I don't have the time I used to to restore one to my desires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the lead. I saw that one a while back. Sounded interesting until he mentions is rust and bubbles under the top. I think it might be worth spending a bit more to be rust free.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Ed, according to Cougar by the Numbers, this is either one of 108 or 1 of 169, depending on which 4-speed it has. You may want to take a closer look because rust can be fixed but rarity not so much...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand the rarity situation can be attractive, but I just don't do bodywork and paying someone for rust repair can easily double or triple the cost of the car. Actually I'd rather have a less rare car so I could modify it without guilt if I want to later. That said I think I'll call anyway and find out about the rust situation.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called on the 1970 XR7 that 68XR-7cat provided the link for. He said it was a wide ratio 4 speed 1 of 160 something. He was very straight with me about the body, seemed like a real honest guy. It does have rust under the vinyl top at the top of both the front and rear glass, both doors were rusted enough that he recommended replacement plus there are rust blisters on both quarters. He said it drives very well and the steering was great, but needed hoses. I really wanted something I could drive as I find it, hopefully not doing any substantial paint and interior for a long time, while I do intend some tasteful mechanical modifications, so I'd prefer to leave the rare cars to the restorers. This car sounds like it would be better in the hands of someone who would wants to do a project to restore due to the desireable type rarity.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the lead droptopcat. Sorry, but I don't think that car is for me, looks like it needs doors. I'd rather spend a little more and get a nicer car. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Ed, other than XR-7 is there a particular options list you'd like to find and a price range based on condition? I do national searches all the time as an assist to Phil Parcells CCOA database project. If it's out there, there's a good chance I'm going to see it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
68XR-7cat,

I sent you a PM.

Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ed, I don't know what you're looking to spend, but I saw this beautiful red California XR7 car for sale at around 15K with 70,000 miles on it. You can find it in the is Los Angeles Craigs list.

Jcat

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you look at the pic of the XR7 emblem on the C pillar you can see what looks like bad body prep before the paint job below the emblem. It kind of looks like a vinyl top was removed. Looked like it has a one size fits all aluminum radiator and the fan shroud is missing. I expect a little better attention to detail at that price. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts