Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent driver, or rust free and complete project 1968 Cougar, that is a factory special paint code blank - Calypso Coral car. Needs to be documented by Marti report. Please don't call if you have a factory green car, painted orange. I would prefer an XR7 model, but will consider standards as well. My budget is $10K or less, or if are interested in trading projects, I have several interesting cars, including a 1968 Cougar XR7 390-4speed loaded up GT, a 1973 XR7 convertible, or a 1969 351 Standard Indian Fire/black Cougar. Give me a call with what you have, and let's talk. Thanks, Scott 480-612-2998 :wave:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good luck with that. There were only 588 68s with special order paint and only a few of those where Calypso Coral (i believe Mercury changed the name to Competition Orange in 69) . You might try placing a craigslist add in the Dallas area as most of them (23) were ordered by a local dealer for a promo. They were all standards. I do like the color and can see why you wound want one.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Calypso coral is an orangeish color? I would have thought it would have been a blueish color. Good luck.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Looks like this. My son's car. It is a Dan Gurney Special, blank paint code -Calypso Coral with a black decore interior. Sorry it will never be for sale. He has owned it since he was 14 yrs old!

new wheels 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is a good looking car! Never would have guessed that to be called coral though.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I believe that Mr Juraco has cornered the market on Calypso Coral 1968 Cougars. GT-E, XR7-G, and I believe 2 more (one may be a Calypso Coupe?)

I parted one out a few years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i know this is old but there are cougars out there called a Calypso Coupe. it was a dealer special order for DFW and Kansas city. The exact numbers of how many were made are not know but i have only found one and i bought it. You can find a little info about them online. My profile picture is an example. not what mine looks like ut i will post pictures if interested

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
i know this is old but there are cougars out there called a Calypso Coupe. it was a dealer special order for DFW and Kansas city. The exact numbers of how many were made are not know but i have only found one and i bought it. You can find a little info about them online. My profile picture is an example. not what mine looks like ut i will post pictures if interested
According to CBTNs (Cougar By The Numbers) there were a total of 28 '68's painted Calypso Coral with a Dallas DSO (229130). Go ahead and post a pic of your Calypso Coupe, sure would like to see a pic. :) John

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah i will post them. the pics are on my computer at home so it will be later tonite or in the morning. its in rough shape but it will be restored with some mods that are easily converted back to original

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yes, please post. I'm a little partial too calypso coral cougars.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Damn I'm kind of starting to want one of those.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know its not about Cougars; but this color is rare. There is one member in our Ford club that has a 68 Coral Mustang coupe (one repaint) with a CJ. We occasionally see
an older gentlemen at cruise-ins with a 68 Coral Mustang coupe, 289 which still has the original paint.

·
11,000 Posts
Very nice, and unusual to find a Calypso Coupe with standard three speed transmission. The lack of a console and under dash air are both blessings! Great car to restore from the looks of it. We have a member in our local club with a restored '68 Calypso Coupe. His car is automatic, factory air and console. Yours will be more fun to drrive, easier to restore and have colder AC!

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive got the engine and trans pulled already. there are a few rust places that need attention but there may be more once i get it blasted. i want to go back with factory in dash unit but im not sure yet. the ac unit thats uin it now is trash beside that actual unit. compressor is locked up and there has been damage to the condesor. as to the three speed have a 4 speed out of a another 68 cougar that i want to put in this one but i intend to keep the three speed as well. i also had a couple questions . first is i want to take the badges off the c pillar but im not sure how, and the other is i have a set of shorty headers meant for a early 90's 302 and wondering if it will fit on the 302 i currently have which i founf out is not the original engine but its the correct year.

·
11,000 Posts
To remove the C pillar XR-7 badges you need to peel the headliner up. This involves removing the package tray, thenbending up the prongs on the headliner retainer boards at each end of the package tray structure so that the headliner can be carefully released.

Then there are two pal (push - and - lock) nuts holding the emblems in place. You have to carefully pry under each nut with a small gasket scraper as you turn the nuts.

ive got the engine and trans pulled already. there are a few rust places that need attention but there may be more once i get it blasted. i want to go back with factory in dash unit but im not sure yet. the ac unit thats uin it now is trash beside that actual unit. compressor is locked up and there has been damage to the condesor. as to the three speed have a 4 speed out of a another 68 cougar that i want to put in this one but i intend to keep the three speed as well. i also had a couple questions . first is i want to take the badges off the c pillar but im not sure how, and the other is i have a set of shorty headers meant for a early 90's 302 and wondering if it will fit on the 302 i currently have which i founf out is not the original engine but its the correct year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well thats good. i am going back mostly original with some modifications. im going with a later model 347 stroker and a four speed trans. going to keep all the original stuff thouhg. i did have some questions though.one is if 90 model 302 headers will bolt to a 60's-70's 302 block. and i cant remeber the other question i was going to ask

·
11,000 Posts
Headers for 1990 model Mustang won't clear the Cougar shock towers and steering.

well thats good. i am going back mostly original with some modifications. im going with a later model 347 stroker and a four speed trans. going to keep all the original stuff thouhg. i did have some questions though.one is if 90 model 302 headers will bolt to a 60's-70's 302 block. and i cant remeber the other question i was going to ask

·
Registered
11 Posts
well i repeated myself there but thanks that was helpful. i guess im going to go with long tubes then. i have some shortys that came off my friends 90 mustang was the reason i was asking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts