Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think I've almost eliminated Ride Tech because of the sway bar issue. If it doesn't fit with my oil pan I'm probably looking at $1000 to have a custom sway bar made or to have my oil pan cut modified and re-welded. I don't have a lot of $ for unforeseen issues if I ever plan to get this Cat back on the road.

Pick whoever can get you the product in time, but I would choose Ridetech.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I think I've almost eliminated Ride Tech because of the sway bar issue. If it doesn't fit with my oil pan I'm probably looking at $1000 to have a custom sway bar made or to have my oil pan cut modified and re-welded. I don't have a lot of $ for unforeseen issues if I ever plan to get this Cat back on the road.
I thought that their front system used the stock sway bar. The video that I posted certainly makes you think so...

Andrew

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Andrew, I told Ride Tech about that standard sway bar end link picture and comment in the video and they said there was no provision for the standard OE mount sway bar on the lower control arm.

I also talked to Total Control Products and by the time I added the dropped upper control arm mount and double adjustable shocks I was just short of $2900 without a sway bar. Kind of priced themselves out of my range. So I continue to vacillate between Ride Tech and Global West. I'll let everybody know what I buy.

I thought that their front system used the stock sway bar. The video that I posted certainly makes you think so...

Andrew

·
Registered
425 Posts
From the video, I was under the impression the stock sway bar was retained as well. They just talked about using a new bolt and urethane bushings for the sway bar.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The video is for a 67 so I'm not sure how different 69 front suspension is from a 67.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Leroy, I noticed that too. I asked Ride Tech point blank about the lower arm mount for the stock style sway and he told me there was no provision for it. All I can think of is he was mistaken or they changed the lower arm. The lower arm on their website looks like it has a hole that would match the video.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just talked to a different guy at Ride Tech just now and he said the kit will work with a stock sway bar mount. They're back in the running.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The decision is made. I decided to go with Global West double adjustable coil overs. They're purchased and shipping next week. Body moves tomorrow morning, I have to go unbury it. The wife is going to love the car parts I'm bringing into the house tonight. ;^)

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Hello Ed, Before making any decisions, you might consider taking a look at Street or Track, LLC. Shaun Burgess is the owners name, and the company is located in West Bloomfield, MI. http://streetortrack.com/
I have their bracket kits for Cobra disc brakes on Isabel. They were good to deal with.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Bob, you didn't use mustang Steve's?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 68 last year. It had been lowered in front. As near as I can tell, they used the commonly available 1" lowering springs and associated pieces with KYB shocks. It drove OK but I didn't like the stock slave assist power steering. The first change was to install the Unisteer power rack. What a great improvement. Three turns lock to lock and great steering feel and return. (I can add some details about the installation if you want in a follow-on).

I recently replaced the stock 3/4"(measured slightly less) front sway bar with a 1" TCI unit and added their 3/4" rear sway bar. Another great improvement. It took on a go-cart like feel for cornering, yet the suspension over bumps is compliant. Overall, I ended up with a very comfortable ride - not harsh - that corners great.
What brand of anti-sway bars did you go with. I like TCP. Haven't bought yet. Interested to know who made the parts you are happy with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 68 last year. It had been lowered in front. As near as I can tell, they used the commonly available 1" lowering springs and associated pieces with KYB shocks. It drove OK but I didn't like the stock slave assist power steering. The first change was to install the Unisteer power rack. What a great improvement. Three turns lock to lock and great steering feel and return. (I can add some details about the installation if you want in a follow-on).

I recently replaced the stock 3/4"(measured slightly less) front sway bar with a 1" TCI unit and added their 3/4" rear sway bar. Another great improvement. It took on a go-cart like feel for cornering, yet the suspension over bumps is compliant. Overall, I ended up with a very comfortable ride - not harsh - that corners great.
I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.
Never heard of KBS shocks, did you mean KYB? Darting around on the road sounds like caster rod bushing problems or possibly UCA dogbone bushing wear, how are these on your car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, KYB. I have checked and all the bushings and rods are good. We were able able to do a little work with the alignment to correct most of it. I guess I am just looking for a really solid handling like a modern car. I thought I had a problem in the steering linkage but its all good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My car darts pretty bad too. All my bushing are good. Maybe back to the alignment shop. I like total control racks. Been thinking of doing it. Pricey but if it works it would totally be worth it.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
My car darts pretty bad too. All my bushing are good. Maybe back to the alignment shop. I like total control racks. Been thinking of doing it. Pricey but if it works it would totally be worth it.
I have a TPC rack in my 67. It definitely works!

Andrew

21 - 38 of 38 Posts