Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
65-66 mustang diff.

The 65-66 diff. will bolt in fine, just remember to get the smaller u-bolts to mount the housing.[the axle tubes have a smaller diameter where they bolt to the springs].

·
Registered
257 Posts
You could use the disc brakes of the rear of a Crown Vic or an older Explorer. They have 8.8s but the patterns are the same and should bolt onto a small bearing 9” or an 8” without a problem.
I have heard that the disc brake 8.8's from 97ish Explorers are a great axle to swap in... anyone know what the width on one of these axles is? Am I correct in understanding that it would be a little wider that the stock axle in my 68, and then I could run a wheel with more backspacing to get the tires tucked back inside the fenders?

·
10,982 Posts
This swap doesn't make sense because an 8.8" is not a strong as a 9", the rear is too wide, and it is not a simple bolt in. Get the 9" from a 69-70 and convert it to discs. Cheaper, easier, stronger.

I have heard that the disc brake 8.8's from 97ish Explorers are a great axle to swap in... anyone know what the width on one of these axles is? Am I correct in understanding that it would be a little wider that the stock axle in my 68, and then I could run a wheel with more backspacing to get the tires tucked back inside the fenders?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
1966 Thunderbird 9"

Im thinking of dropping in a 460 and want to change from the 8" to the 9" and I found a guy selling one. He states that it is in a 1966 Thunderbird. He doesn't know any of the tag numbers so im going to try and get out there to look at it but before I do I was wondering if anyone knows if it will bolt right in. I cant find any info on the width or anything on the net or this site about the '66 9". Does anyone know the width or has anyone done this swap? Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Royce, why is the swap to a Versailles such a pain? The only issues I have heard are related to cost of parts and the parking brake setup.

·
10,982 Posts
Because it is so cheap and easy to use a 9" from a '69 - 70 Cougar. If you want discs (I can't imagine why but...) get the conversion kit from http://www.ssbrakes.com or http://www.mpbrakes.com and you will be money ahead, time saved and have better brakes than a Versailles. You will be able to use off the shelf axles if or when you want to upgrade or replace. The driveshaft yoke is an ordinary one so you can just shorten your existing drive shaft and you are done.

The Versailles rear uses special Versailles - only axle shafts that are 28 spline. None of the axle companies will make new ones for you except at inflated cost due to the special machining needed on the ends. The parking brake issue is really tough to solve. The driveshaft flange won't fit anything, so you have to buy a new yoke at $100 or more. The gear ratio is either 2.75:1 or 2.50:1 in a Versailles, so you will want to change that. The differential carier for the 2.50 won't accept any other ratio, so a new differential is needed even for an open rear. The center section is the weak single rib type that won't take much abuse. The disc brake setup is small, not worth the trouble if superior braking is your goal.

What is your goal?

Ask anybody who has done the Versailles swap and they will tell you to avoid it at all costs.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
This swap doesn't make sense because an 8.8" is not a strong as a 9", the rear is too wide, and it is not a simple bolt in. Get the 9" from a 69-70 and convert it to discs. Cheaper, easier, stronger.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Poohbair
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Royce,
I read were the Brakes will bolt to a 8 or 9 inch housing. No need to use the 8.8 inch housing. If I can find were I read this I'll post it.

·
10,982 Posts
8" and 9" housings for Cougar / Mustang use the same brakes, and in fact the 28 spline axle shafts are interchangeable. I have seen several kits on Ebay that adapt late model rear discs to either. Any of those kits is a better idea than anything you can do with a Versailles rear end.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Royce, thanks for the details. I have been given a Versailles rear end and was going to put it into my '65 Mustang in place of the 8" (obviously drums). The Versailles comes with a different third member with 3.50 gears. My cost would be that of replacing the calipers and pads, labor is mine and a few beers for a friend.

·
10,982 Posts
It would need to be narrowed first. A Versailles rear is going to have a different width than you '65 Mustang. I believe the Versailles is about 1 inch wider than 67 - 68 so it would be maybe 2" wider than a '65 - 66 Mustang. The spring perch width is the same but the U bolts and shock plates from your Mustang won't work due to the diameter of the Versailles housing tubes.

A better fit for your Mustang is a 57 - 59 Ford or small Edsel or small Mercury 9". It is a direct bolt in.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Those measurements are for complete rear ends with the brakes and hubs all there. You can not just subtract 5" for a bare housing because brake widths range from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" the correct length bare axle housing for a 67-70 mustang or cougar will be 54 1/4" outer edge of flange to flange.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Those measurements are for complete rear ends with the brakes and hubs all there. You can not just subtract 5" for a bare housing because brake widths range from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" the correct length bare axle housing for a 67-70 mustang or cougar will be 54 1/4" outer edge of flange to flange.
You just cleared up alot for me, and re-assured me that a guy that is selling 9" rearends told me that a particular rearend I was looking at is the correct length to bolt right up underneath a 68

·
Registered
46 Posts
Royce, thanks for the details. I have been given a Versailles rear end and was going to put it into my '65 Mustang in place of the 8" (obviously drums). The Versailles comes with a different third member with 3.50 gears. My cost would be that of replacing the calipers and pads, labor is mine and a few beers for a friend.

Parts are getting hard to find for those diffs. Had my calipers rebuilt locally and was missing an e-brake lever. Never found 1. Sold it to an early Mustang guy. Best leave them for others and if you want rear discs for a 9" go with the exploder 1s. Only tricky part is you need an .080 spacer between the retainer and bearing to make up for the caliper holder thickness. I prefer the newer housings and just get them cut down and buy new axles. I keep everything 31 spline now.

Alan

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I figured it would not be long before these sorts of posts began to appear. I have taken the liberty of "introducing" you to our admin Helena. Have a nice day.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts