Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to this forum thanks for any help.

I own a 69 convertible completely stock.
The A/C compressor is shot and I would like to go through the entire A/C system and make it as operable as it was from the factory while keeping it as close to OEM as possible. I don't want to "improve" the system with an aftermarket kit, I want replacement parts as close to original as possible. That being considered I am planning on converting the system to 134 due to the exorbitant price for r12.
Where would you guys go to source the various components? For example compressor, drier, new o rings etc.

Now for the TECH part.

What actually commands the compressor to cycle in this system?
Is it an electrical switch measuring pressure or is it something more complicated like a electro/thermal switch?
Any input would be appreciated.
I would reverse engineer the system/do more exploration but I spent a lot of time figuring out how to adjust the intermediate band in the FMX. That was very rewarding, adjusting something that was built over 40 years ago, after adjusting putting it all back together it shifts and downshifts like brand new.
Thanks, JO

I know I am going to

·
Registered
396 Posts
I too boght from Classic Auto Air and worked with Ron. He is a GREAT source of information and if not available when you call, he will call back very shortly after question asked. Very easy guy to talk to and very willing to help all he can. Would highy recomend going with them, everything fits like a dream and just a weekend project to install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts