Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay there isnt some GTE in a barn somewhere that some old farmer wants twenty bucks for if there was do you think i would post it? The heading would be Look at my new GTE! But if you want the look of the GTE and dont want to spend the premium price then here is the answer. Check out http://www.flexchrome.com/ they sell a plastic crhome trim which is fantastic and at 20.00 for a ten foot peice cheap enough to afford with some argent paint for those lower rocker areas. I am posting the link in the link section as well thought their might be some intrest in this product here. if you want to check out its application in use get the rod & custom magazine for january i believe its the january issue should be on sale now.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Cool

I have seen this stuff being used here recently on a couple of the street rods that frequent the Malt Shop in Anna TX. where I hang out on Saturdaynights (no cops, good food, Fair women, and lots of HotRods...
I was told the Flex Chrome is inexpensive and can be applied in a lot of places that you normally couldnt apply any thing accept custom paint...That makes for lots of possibilities.:bandit: :cyclops: :evil: :pimp: :sun: :xoli: :ylsup:

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
precisly such as the GTE trim or wheel well trim at allot less than OEM.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Has anyone tried this stuff?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too would be interested in hearing a review of this stuff. Was wondering if it could be used on the plastic (now yellow) chrome under the gauges.

Craig

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used some on my dads van and so far it has held up great! no yellowing and his van is out in the sun everyday for over 6 months now and it hasnt come loose either. I am not sure as to the size your needing but if you go to their site they give you the sizes and shape.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Its on my 67 in the fender wells. It was applied about 5 years ago and the chrome is just now starting to flake and peel some. But hey its cheap and all you have to do is rip off, clean the area, and reapply some new chrome.

I think it looks just as good as the original chrome.

·
Registered
365 Posts
COOL! Is it very hard to get it off after it is applied?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont know if it is hard to get off but i imagine it will probably take off the paint when it comes. And Paul G. that too can be had albeit for a hefty price in our link section you will find the place genisis motors i believe and a all aluminum side oiler can be ordered. scary aint it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't believe Genisis motors needs to be called for an All Aluminum Side Oiler....you just got to call that 'ole Texan. What was his name again? Sheltie....or Shelly...or Shelby...yea...thats it. ;)

This stuff could prove interesting. More research is needed. :)

-Rob

·
Registered
448 Posts
427's

Greg,
Genesis has had some problems getting the first 100 blocks out the door. The blocks look good from what I have seen and heard. I saw the block at Carlisle two weeks ago. It looks pretty darn stout and should be able to be bored and stroked to darn near 500 cubes. Thats a lot of cubes from an FE size motor. They have done a real nice job on the design, and now just need to work out some of the manufacturing glitches. They have not as of yet produced an aluminum block, but the plan is to eventually be able to make both castings.
Shelby can get you the block in aluminum right now, but I believe it is around $5K. After all of the necessary machine and assembly to really make an aluminum FE run you would easily have $20K in the motor.
It sure would be nice to drop a 500 CI all aluminum FE in a a cobra kit.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
321 Posts
Paul, the block from Shelby is just about 5k. Also, Shelby claims you can bore and stroke it to 525 cubes. I look foward, to seeing if Genesis can make them any cheaper. Then all I will need is some old blueprints and a mill, lathe, and other manufacturing tools. So I can make myself a set of "Cammer" heads. :D MMMM....Cammer 525 anyone?

-Rob

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a few pic's of this Shelby Motor. Let me know if you would like to see them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LiLWrink

I'm a local Howe guy. I drive the 71 XR7 Cougar, cream color. I bought back in 1999 from one of your local VA guys after he blew the engine. I've only been to the Anna Malt shop a couple of times but never on Saturday night. I need to check it out. Sounds like fun. :cool: :beer:

·
Registered
448 Posts

Bill,
A local guy has the Shelby aluminum block, with Edelbrock 427 aluminum heads and a tunnel wedge dual quad in a 67 fairlane. It is bored and stroked to 477. It is really impressive to see an all aluminum FE when he lifts the hood. I've got pictures if anyone is interested.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
365 Posts
Heck yeah we're interested!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
cougar_68 said:
Heck yeah we're interested!!

What do you think???----Elll yes! Love to see them!

The flex chrome has been adapted for certain street rod useage.

Wakan, I'm in Howe frequently, I am helping a buddy rat rod out a 36 ford out at twin hills. I cant remember seeing a 71, I think I would have remembered, maybe? anyway, come on down to the Malt Shop, the crowd is really a tight bunch. Glad to see you there. I am a big ol red headed boy and my only running ride is a blue and white 55 Chevy, look me up...
The latest trend for the guys who have been named the "bug killers"-we leave the Malt shop about 9-9:30 and drive to Denison and cruz the old drag, down past the Via dock, and switch yard.
The local business have been supporting this, and check this out, the COPS who used to write tickets and harass us, have been cooperative, managing the burnout lane, parking us "extra wide" so we dont have to door ding eack other, and keeping the peace in a friendly, social, manner... Knock on wood now that I said it I pray they dont turn into airheads and ruin it.
be cool, see you there.
shane:burnout:

·
Registered
448 Posts
477 CI TW

This is the Shelby 477 tunnel wedge motor that was at the ABC auto parts show last year. I hope it is there again tomorrow.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
She's beautiful! I think I'm in love all over again...
Is this what your buddy's motor will look like?
shane:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts