Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Want a '67 or '68 small block manual trans

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  tmh 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a driver, not a show car or anything to restore. I've got almost no experience working on cars, just a little, but my dad's best friend is a restomod guy so I can probably hit him up for help with medium sized efforts and leave any serious work to a pro. I want a car that doesn't need any serious work though. Solid undercarriage with nothing more than surface rust, I don't mind if the floor pans or section of frame rails have been replaced, I have no interest in having matching numbers, I don't need any fancy mods, I just want a car that has style, and I think the pre-69 cougar is the most beautiful car ever. Metal top only, manual tranny ideally but I'm okay with an auto. In a dream world I'd find a '67 with a 289 that somebody did a great job on putting in a manual trans with OD. I've seen some pretty horrendous colors on old cougars, and I'm okay with that as long as it's super cheap so I can afford a new paintjob. My dream cougar would have a matte grey paintjob and a black hood. I don't wanna spend a fortune on the purchase or on the maintenance, so a solid runner with cosmetic issues is my most likely route to success I guess.

Thanks for giving me a forum to dream out loud.

Scott

#2 ·
I don't particularly like the interior on this one, but other than that what a beauty.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/50121.html

I'm only a couple-few hours away from him, but don't have that kinda cash at this point. Is his price out of line? Seems like there are much cheaper deals to be found, but this one does look to be in pretty nice shape. Do the $4-6k ones generally need a lot of work? Is $8k+ the price range I need to keep an eye on for a solid running 289 manual trans '67/68?

Thanks guys

#3 ·
Price seems reasonable for the amount of work done to this car.
I would have someone would do a physical inspection on any car that I considered buying. You live in an area where rust is very common, be careful.

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I'd like to spend anywhere from probably $4k on the low end, for one that's rust-free but has mechanical issues or is fine except it's missing an engine or something, to maybe $12k tops for one that's exactly what I'm looking for and has no issues at all. Had my eye on the one that's currently available in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, as she's a beauty and has the engine/trans just like I'd want, but the extra photos they sent when I got in touch showed a couple of sections of Swiss cheese on the body and holes in the floor pans, and rust problems are a deal breaker for me. It's gonna be really tough finding one within driving distance of Chicago that is both affordable and rust-free. I'm willing to drop $300 on a round-trip ticket and $1k on delivery for a really nice car at a good price in Phoenix or wherever, if there's something to give me high confidence I'm not throwing $300 away on a wild goose chase.

#6 ·
Mine has a few small area's of rust, but are easy fixes and has only primer grey for a color on it. But I think mine is more project than you are looking for.

#7 ·
Yeah yours is definitely outside the scope of what I can handle. Maybe in a couple years I'll be able to get more adventurous but for right now I need one that's totally ready to go and won't have more than basic maintenance issues popping up in the first year or two.

#8 ·
Okay! Well that was quick. Just picked up a '68 XR-7 J code, no door tag since it was repainted years back, has a 9" rear end that I'm curious to learn about, what's in it, was it factory or an upgrade down the road, etc. Most beautiful car I've ever seen. Just awesome. I've added about 20 miles so far to the 61k she came with. Good times.

#12 ·
Okay! Well that was quick. Just picked up a '68 XR-7 J code, no door tag since it was repainted years back, has a 9" rear end that I'm curious to learn about, what's in it, was it factory or an upgrade down the road, etc. Most beautiful car I've ever seen. Just awesome. I've added about 20 miles so far to the 61k she came with. Good times.
One word: Pictures!!!

#9 ·
'68 small block would have come with an 8" rear end.

#10 ·
Was a 9" rear end not an upgrade option for a '68 302?

If I get the Marti report, that will tell me how it left the factory right? All I have is the VIN though, no door tag codes. Is that enough?

#11 ·
No it would not have been an upgrade. If you have a 9" rear end someone changed it. All you need for a Marti report is the VIN and a credit card. It will tell you how exactly how the car was built.

#13 ·
I haven't had a chance to get some really nice pics just yet, but, here's the best one I have so far

I was so happy to see nobody mentioning this car in the "for sale" forums. Last thing I needed was for someone to get in there and buy her before I had a chance to. :)

#14 ·
That's a pretty nice looking cat. Not that it's any of our business, but what did you give for it?

#16 · (Edited)
J code. 9" rear (unknown contents), new wheels, and Edelbrock carb are the only mods I know of at this point. Disc brakes (says so on the brake pedal even). Power steering. Not a vinyl top, which I'm very happy about. Oh, the valve covers too, they were replaced with those ones with the key-type bolts, that you can remove without a wrench (sorry I don't know the term for that yet) which I don't really like and might ditch when I run out of more pressing things to do. What else. No AC. Um, leaky power steering system, was that a factory option? ;) Oh, also air shocks, I don't know if that was standard or an option, but she's got em.

:edit: I didn't say XR-7 in this post, which is part of the options. Duh. Also, I forgot to mention the aftermarket steering wheel, which I like though I don't know the brand or model, and the interior was totally redone, very well as far as I'm concerned. I ordered the Marti report yesterday so in a couple days I'll know more about how it was stock. I'm not concerned with restoring or hotrodding, just a car I love. /edit

No rust anywhere to be seen, except I found one spot where the paint is bubbling in an area about the size of a penny, on the top area of the driver's side fender but beneath the hood. Again sorry for my poor terminology. I promise I'll only get better.

Paid $10,500. Their asking price was $12,800 when they first listed the car two months ago, $12,500 very shortly after that, $11,800 about a month ago, and $11,500 when I found a listing for it which was maybe about a week ago, maybe 10 days? This Saturday that just passed was the first chance I had to get out there. About 45 minutes drive from my folks' place, which is where I left my wife and my 4runner so I'd be able to drive the cougar home if it worked out. The seller and his wife mentioned that they would have to call the guy from Utah and let him know not to bother buying a ticket to fly out, after I told them I'd take it. Guy from Utah, if you're here, tough break. I hope you find what you're looking for. I feel very fortunate that I did.

#17 ·
Very nice. Get that small rust spot you found taken care of now. It's always worse than it looks and a small repair now will save you a big expensive repair in the future. Post some more pictures and the Marti report for us when you can. Congratulations on your new cat.

#18 ·
About posting the Marti report... Is there not any kind of risk associated with giving out your exact VIN? I assume no, based on how everyone posts their Marti report. I'm just one of those more cautious (read: paranoid) kinda people when it comes to giving out very specific personal info like that. Like, you don't post your social security number online. That sorta thing.

That being said I totally do want to post the Marti report cause there's interesting stuff, like it was built in San Jose, came with tinted windows and the seatbelt upgrade (has lap or shoulder belts I can pick from), and originally had a vinyl roof though it doesn't now (which I'm super glad about). Maybe I should just photoshop out the last 5 digits of the VIN and post the dang thing.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.