Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Who should get our 1970 Cougar Eliminator?

• A - SwamperJr

Votes: 86 29.5%
  • B - Mike_B_SVT

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • C - Ashe Johnson

Votes: 95 32.5%
  • D - April & Mike Dziabo

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • E - Pete (sleepycat)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • F - Katie Cunningham

Votes: 30 10.3%
  • G - Nichole & Josh Schmitt

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • H - Virgil Wood

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • I - 68 MERC / daughter Brooke

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • J - NJ & PA Cougar Club (kilroynj)

Votes: 18 6.2%
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to find the next owner of our '70 Eliminator! Over the last couple months, we received about 30 submissions to the contest. After much deliberation, we at West Coast Classic Cougar have chosen these 10 finalists based on the overall merit, potential, and genuine deserving that we saw in each candidate. To those who didn't make the cut, please don't be discouraged. We really enjoyed all your responses, and were touched at how much these cars mean in your lives. Many of the entries were a lot more "human" than we expected. Others were just plain entertaining. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Cue the fancy poster:

MEET THE CONTENDERS

Each essay is labeled with a letter and the name (or username) of the entrant. When you've made your choice, please select their letter / name in the poll at the top of this thread. Your vote will decide who takes home this Eliminator! Voting will be closed on February 14, 2012.

---A---
SwamperJr

Honestly this is a pretty hard story to tell, and I feel conflicted about showing this to everyone. Deep down, I know many people have stories like this... and it's good to know that even something as simple a car can teach us so much about ourselves and the world around us. Just thank God for what we do have today, MC.net members I would post more pictures of us working on it, but I am in Taiwan right now, so access to any pics from home is impossible. That being said, a few of you here on MC.net know my story, and my father, "Swamper"... so I think that should be proof enough????

We had been searching for this car; for three I had been checking the internet, classifieds and swap meets even, when a gem finally seemed to appear to me in the Spokesman Review.
1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
Project car, not running.
351W, 4sp, build sheets
3,500 OBO

My father and I had been searching for a Mercury Cougar Eliminator. We didn’t want a hot rodded Mustang, or super charged Nova… only an Eliminator would do. This was 2001, my junior year in high school. At this point, my story may sound like many others, but I assure you it isn’t.
The car was a complete basket case; anything that could be unbolted, unscrewed or lifted out, was. That didn’t really matter to me though, and honestly it didn’t matter to my dad either. It had been a dream car of my fathers since the first Eliminator rolled off the assembly line, and he passed on his love for the car to me at an early age. After 2 years of hard work, Eliminator was “done”. The memories I made with him during that time are unforgettable, growing closer than I ever could have thought. My dad had always been deeply involved in my life, but only as a coach for my soccer and wrestling teams. We never truly bonded until this car came along. Whether while waiting on parts or while sanding down the bucket seat springs, we were finally getting to know each other as father and son should.
Fast forward to 2005, when my dad got sick with cancer. The tough man that I grew up knowing was no longer invincible, and the father that told me he loved me for the first time when accepted that wasn’t invincible, became weak and malnourished. To watch my father slowly pass-away was the hardest thing I have ever known, especially after growing closer over few years prior to this.
In his last months, I couldn’t handle seeing him in the state he was in without completely breaking down emotionally. To avoid the constant emotional pain, I opted to not only start college while also working two part time jobs, but also pick up Chinese at the same time. I knew studying Chinese at university would give me a mental escape from what seemed like emotional torture at the time. November 26th 2006 came, and then passed, taking my father, James Robert Emerson, with it. He was known as “Swamper” to the Cougar community, “Coach Jim” to his athletes, and “Dad” to me. While working on the 1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator, he somehow taught me what love is. Who knows, my dad may still have told me that he loved me if we never worked on that car together… but I know at the very least, the time we spent under that car taught me what love truly is; I would have never known the true meaning of those words if it wasn’t for that car.
Now my mother is a widow, with house payments to make. The last thing I wanted to do was to sell the Eliminator that my dad had initially intended to leave me, but I knew my mom wouldn’t be able to make ends meet if I didn’t. I put the car up for sale, and after months and months it finally sold. If that car hadn’t been sold, my mom would have had to sell the house my father built for them, or wait till she was 70 to retire. I couldn’t see either of those things happen; no matter how upset I was with the situation.
I graduated from university back in March, and am now teaching science in Taiwan of all places. There is a good chance I would have never gone to college if it wasn’t for my dad getting sick, and certainly wouldn’t be in Taiwan if I hadn’t learned Chinese as an escape. My dad studied science in college, and maybe I chose this route to make up for not being 100% there the last couple months of his life. I have started paying off my student loans and saving up to try and buy another Eliminator when I return state side next year. I’m not looking for a showroom condition car, not even something that looks like it needs a little work. My dream Eliminator is one that I can build in my shop using all the same tools and extra parts from that car my dad and I built, and that is why I think this car is for me. I could use a little help from the body-man, but not to the extent that most would be looking for.

---B---
Mike_B_SVT

I'm the right person to bring this car back to life because...
…when I mentioned the WCCC Eliminator Giveaway to my wife the other night she gave me one of those looks as if she were weighing my sanity. I let it go, thinking that it was a bad idea to attempt to influence the outcome of her decision. Then she says to me “I don’t think they are going to give you a car just because you’ve always wanted one.” Good point.
So over the last few weeks I’ve been thinking about why I’ve always wanted one. What is it about a car like that that I really want?

Back in the late ‘80’s, when I was just starting to get into Mustangs, I was reading a car magazine article that featured a 1970 Cougar Eliminator. Holy cow… that thing looked awesome. Bold colors, black scoop, black stripes, and spoilers – aggressive to behold! That was a car that meant business. The combination of incredible looks, the fact that you didn’t see many Cougars around, and that they were more affordable than a Mustang made for an irresistible combination. I was hooked.
I made some photocopies of the pictures of that Eliminator in the magazine. This was before everyone had a color printer, so I had to color them myself. I made a yellow one and a blue one using colored pencils and I tucked those pictures into the clear outside cover of my Navy qual card folder (I had just reported to my first Sub). I’d look at those pictures and imagine what it would be like to slide into those tall-backed black buckets, to grab that Hurst T-handle shifter, to turn the key and listen to that old V-8 come to life.
Many years later, when the wife and I moved into our current home I took those pictures out of the cover of that folder and hung them on the wall in our garage – where they still hang, like a promise to myself. “Someday… someday…”

Truthfully, I’m not the best person for this project. However, I feel that I’m the right person to bring this car back to life. Here is why: this isn’t only a car that I’m hoping to win. I’m hoping to win the Garage Memories that go along with it. THAT is the real prize!

When I read various car magazines, or posts and comments here on MC.net, it is clear that many of the car owners have awesome memories of their car and their experiences working on them with friends and family. Winning this car means that I will win my own set of those garage memories. Not just for myself, but for my wife and daughter. My daughter is only nine, but she is definitely old enough to learn her way around a wrench and a car, and she jumps at any chance to hang out with Daddy. While my wife is more interested in riding in a car than working on one, I can always count on her to give me a hand when needed. Even if they just come out to watch dad bust a knuckle (or two) or bring their poor thirsty husband an ice cold Coca~Cola, the entire family will be building garage memories.

Now, probably every fellah here on MC.net has a good amount of muscle car experience under their belt. Maybe they’ve been rebuilding engines or welding patch panels since they were old enough to turn a wrench. Not me.
While my father, uncle, and grandfather were all “car guys” and they used to run a body shop / garage / used car lot back in the day, by the time I came along they were closing up the shop and moving on to new non-automotive endeavors. So I was in high school when I had my first opportunity to tap their knowledge and get my hands dirty. Dad and I replaced the head gasket in his crusty old ’76 Chevy Luv pickup. A few years later that truck became my first car and that summer Dad and my Uncle offered to help me repaint it. Dad guided me through the body work / paint prep and my Uncle sprayed it in my dad’s workshop. Grampa made sure we all did everything the right way.

While a lot of the Cougar gang here on MC.net have done the sort of work that this car needs, I haven’t. That doesn’t mean that I can’t or won’t, it just means I’ll have a nice steep learning curve – just the way I like it. I’ve always been a “fixer”. When people ask me what I do for work I always tell them “I fix broke stuff”. Well, for the last 2 years my job has transitioned to a lot of desk work. Quite frankly, I miss fixing broke stuff. I love figuring out why something stopped working, and then making it work again.

For a long time I’ve had a budget set aside for a project car but it has just never penciled out right. Find one in good shape and they want too much for it. Find a crusty one and it will take too much to make it “right”. With help from WCCC on the body work this project actually fits the budget. And while I don’t anticipate tackling the bulk of the body work or paint duties (most of which will be beyond me), I think that this car will still provide me with plenty of other opportunities to get my hands dirty working in the garage under a big old Coke sign. Also, living relatively close to WCCC and their body man means that I have the opportunity to visit regularly and maybe pick up some tips and tricks first hand, from the experts.
I don’t pretend that it will be easy, or fast, and I won’t pretend that I know half of what most of the MC.net gang knows. I plan to ask a lot of questions, do a lot of research and reading, and probably a bit of bleeding too.

What would I do to a “poop-box” Eliminator? I would want to restore the car to be an original-appearing driver. I would take up the offer for body work and afterwards return it to its original competition green color, complete with all the proper ’70 Eliminator items and graphics. I would put a correct interior back into the car. For the drive-train…I haven’t really decided yet. I want to find out more history on the car. How did it end up like it is? Can the original drive train be found and acquired?
Either way, I’m thinking that to put a 351C back into it would only be “proper”, but a hot and stroked version isn’t out of the question. I would definitely have to deviate on the transmission and go with a 4 (or maybe five) -speed, with a Hurst T-handle shifter of course. I would also upgrade the car with power brakes to go along with the power steering it was originally optioned with.
And then I would drive it. And I’d teach my daughter to drive it. Then we’d both teach my wife how to drive a stick. :)

So what does this crusty old beat up Eliminator represent to me? It represents a chance to fulfill an almost lifelong dream of owning one; a chance to bond further with my family over hard work while making lasting memories; a chance to return an automotive legend to the road. These are things that most people only get to dream of.
Whether or not you choose me to become the new caretaker for this Eliminator, someone here will have that priviledge. And soon they’ll be making (or adding to) their own garage memories. Those are the real prize.

~ Mike B.

---C---
Ashe Johnson (Ashes)

Hello! My name is Ashe Johnson. I’m a college senior in Georgia. I would love to be considered for this contest!
My dad’s first car was a 1970 Cougar. He still has it. Through my lifetime, it has been restored from the ground up. When I was a kid I used to help him work on it; I have many fond memories of sitting in the garage on the weekends and either helping out or just watching dad work. The concrete and grease “car garage” smell is so comforting to me. We were members of the Georgia Cougar Club most of my life, until it disbanded. I’ve always wanted to have my own Cougar!
I learned to drive on a stick shift. I’ve admired muscle cars my whole life; the roar of the engine, the wind in my hair with the windows rolled down on a beautiful day, a cleared mind and the rush of being in control as you switch from gear to gear… there’s just nothing else like it.
Dad found out about this contest and encouraged me to enter. We’ve always talked about building a Cougar together, and it would be so amazing to be able to make that dream a reality. If I win the Frankenliminator, we would hire your body guy to do the floor pans and quarter panels. Dad will be funding the restoration, and beyond the body work done by your guy we would work on it together the rest of the way. It would be a great father/daughter project and give me a lot more experience working under the hood. I’d like to put a 5-speed in it, do the interior in black, and paint the exterior competition blue (with the black hood stripe). Once we finish it, it would be my daily driver. I would love to take it to car shows!
I do not have a car collection or a to-do list of projects.
This would not be just a car to me.
This would be THE car.
I would give this car the love and attention it deserves, and I would keep this car for the rest of my life.
I would absolutely LOVE to win this Eliminator!!

(entries continued in next post)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
---D---
April & Mike Dziabo

NOTE: these go-getters both wrote essays. April was first, and then we later got one from Mike (probably not knowing his wife had already entered!). Given that their story is essentially the same, we are treating them as one combined entry.​

April's essay:
I’m writing to enter my husband in your contest for the 70 cougar eliminator. There are several reasons why he deserves this car. First, let me start off by giving you a little history of him. His name is Michael Dziabo and he is one of the hardest working men I know. He’s a master mechanic so he knows his way around cars. After working at the local ford dealership for about 13 years, he was let go because they were going into “different directions”. He was devastated; he’s a very proud man and couldn’t believe it.

We had just bought our home and he was very worried how we were going to make ends meet. Fortunately he got the job he has now working for the Carson City school dist. it hurt us financially; we had to take an approximate $12,000.00 a year cut in pay. Therefore, we’ve had to cut back on everything. There is no extra money for “fun”.

Mike is also the step dad to my 2 children and has been for almost 20 years. They think of him as dad. We married when our daughter was 8 and our son was 11. Talk about tough years! This man has been through teenage years, sickness, and many difficult times, but never gave up on us. He’s a wonderful dad and husband. He always put the kid’s needs first, and never complained when we didn’t have money to do anything for ourselves. Even now he helps our daughter who is a single mom and going to school.

He picks up our grandson and brings him home and also takes him to daycare so she can work and finish her education. Our grandson is 2 and helps grandpa work on the cougar.

We’ve had it ruff since we moved to Nevada 18 years ago. Both our kids were sick, my son was in UC San Francisco for a disease they never did figure out. Luckily he’s doing fine. Mike never once complained about my being gone and him having to pick up where I couldn’t take care of things. He took care of our daughter, animals, and home while i was away.

In addition to going to work every day. He’s helped many people who have had problems with their cars and couldn’t afford to pay us. About a year ago I was at a friend’s horse ranch and there was a 1970 mercury cougar being stored there by the owner’s son. I asked if he’d be interested in selling it and she told me she’d ask him. He called me and asked why I wanted to buy it and I told him it’s been my husband’s dream to have a car to rebuild. He stated he would not sell it to me; he’d only give it to me because of the help we had given his parents.

I had no idea what kind of car my husband wanted but was excited to give this to him for Christmas. When I took him to the car and told him merry Christmas he didn’t know what to say. He’s been looking on the west coast cougar site day and night dreaming of how he wants to fix this cougar up. He saw the eliminator on the same site and told me this is what he really wanted. He said he could use the car he has now as a parts car and fix the eliminator up.

That is what brought me to writing to you to enter him. I honestly feel he deserves to win this car, and then he can fulfill his dream. It’s his turn for “fun”. He has no idea I’m submitting this letter, but I want him to know how much I appreciate him for being there for myself and our 2 kids.

Sincerely,
April Dziabo
Michael Dziabo’s wife
Mike's essay:
It just happens that I have a 1970 standard coupe that I’m just getting ready to restore. It, like the Eliminator needs some body work but with both cars I can make one great vehicle. I received the car I have now because it was sitting at a ranch where my wife and I have helped an elderly couple for a couple of years. It had been covered with tarps and pieces of rug; you really couldn’t see the car. I asked my wife about the car, because it just kept sitting there and no one was doing anything with it. Her son was grateful to us for watching over his parents for the last few years and keeping their ranch going. Therefore, her son who lives out of town decided to give me the car as an expression of his appreciation for us helping his parents. We’ve lived in the Carson/Reno area for about 18 years and have gone to Hot August Nights in Reno every year since we’ve been here. We’ve discussed how we wanted to get a car and restore it so we could participate in Hot August Nights by cruising and showing off the car. We also want to be able to participate in other shows too. There are a few car clubs that are in our area that we’d like to be able to participate in with the Eliminator and show it off. Due to our going to many shows we’ve noticed that the Cougar is a rare car, we’ve only seen a few out of the thousand’s that have participated in the shows. The years were 1967 & 1968; we have never seen a 1970. I’ve worked for Ford for over 20 years, and have the knowledge and capability to restore the vehicle myself. My cougar has all the necessary parts I need to get the Eliminator’s body back in shape. I am willing to work with you in order to get the proper engine, 351 Cleveland and the transmission back to its original build. My main goal is to make this Eliminator a restomod project.

---E---
Pete (sleepycat)

Ok, This is not for me, This is for Mrs. Sleepycat, who asked me to write an essay for her. I couldn't think of how to put it from her perspective, so I'll try it from mine.

In December 2006, she was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer. The surgery was done to remove the tumor, and completed a grueling regimen of Chemo, and Radiation Therapy, Only to find out that she still had it. The next step was to remove her rectum, and do an Ostomy. This happened Labor Day, 2007. Through all the agony involved with her affliction, she always managed to keep a smile on her face, and fought tooth and nail to get back on her feet. 2008 seemed as though things would get back to whatever normal is. I had started to do ambulance repairs to keep the bills paid, and she did the book keeping. We actually had somewhat of a Christmas, and the New Year looked Promising. and then January 24, 2009, It all came apart.

She started the day complimenting the fact that she felt better this day than any other, and the day went pretty well until evening came. She became Very Ill, Complaining about Stomach cramps, and feeling like she was going to throw-up, then ended up in so much pain, that she was shaking violently enough that I called 911. By 5:00 am the next morning, I was informed that her Small-Intestine had burst, she had become Septic, the doctor had done all she could, and the next 72 Hrs. would tell the tale.

A week had passed, she was still on Life-Support, and the doctor still had her in an Induced coma, the concensus was to bring her out of it, and wean her off of the Respirator. The Financial Free-Fall had started, so I decided to open the shop back up to at least try to get the Income flowing again. I hadn't been at the shop 20 Minutes, when I got the call; She had arrested when they tried to remove the ventilator, and they weren't sure she would last the day. By the end of the next week, she was off the Ventilator, and on my Birthday (2/25/09), she came Home. October 2009, I had her walking around the Block(about a mile walk) once a day. Again through all of this, she managed to wear the biggest smile she could muster! (In My book She's a hero, No doubt about it!)

She has always been active in my hobby, Sewing Headliners, and doing Little odds& ends that didn't require heavy lifting. and she still helps me out to this day. she was looking over my shoulder the other day as I was reading this thread, and asked what "Competition Green" Looked Like. Now she's not only in love with the Color, she's got a thing for '70 cougars.

Being from the Northeast, We Both know what pleasures the "Rust Belt" brings, and this car is considered very restorable(Just ask ECI Bob!), because this car is History, it needs to be brought back to it's former Glory, and she want's a Classic to call her Own. As far as Me, I'll Gladly do the Heavy Lifting for her to get more deeply involved in the Hobby again!

Pete
P.S. The Car was built 1 day before my B-Day in 1970, and was delivered to Summerville SC - 1 1/2 hrs. from where I live, Hows that for Irony??

---F---
Katie Cunningham (AZcat69)

There is a strong stereotype suggesting that young people no longer know the value of the things they have. This is not always the case. Sometimes you meet someone who was raised to be thankful for what they have and if they want something to go out and earn it. Your contest asks of someone to step up and earn the chance to bring your car back to life. I am the right person for the job.
My name is Katie Cunningham. I am 15 years old and was raised with a passion for cars from an early age. My family has been involved in the cougar world since I was little; being members of the Arizona cougar club is originally how I found out about your car. In 1982 when my dad got out of the army he saw a cougar in someone’s garage and asked about it finding it for sale he bought it and it hasn’t left our family since. My brother and I grew up restoring the 69 after it got into a small accident. My brother wanted to take it to prom, diligently working on it he found himself unable to do so due to having more work then we thought it needed. Since most of the damage was in the front we went looking on eBay for parts and ended up finding a rusted out 69 convertible that was not savable. After bringing the car back from Chicago we stripped it down using the front end for our 69. Since we stripped the car we now have a 351 Windsor and an fmx transmission. Before my dad had already parted other cougars. We personally know Scott Taylor; he is always very supportive and willing to help, so being in the cougar community we have access to a variety of parts.
The convertible was to be mine till we realized we couldn’t save it. This car will be for me. It will finally be my turn to have a car of my own that I work on and restore instead of just being “the helper”. If I work hard and devote my time there is a chance to take it to prom, considering i'm only a sophomore. I also understand the original color of the car is green and that is my favorite color. I have many resources such as books manuals and other people to ensure the job is done right. Arizona is one of the best places for cars because of the weather, no snow means no rust. Cougars have always caught my attention because of the simple fact that they are original and don’t look like everything else on the road unlike most of today’s cars. Hardtops are more appealing to me than convertibles and my all time favorites have always been the eliminators. Whenever we go to a car show that’s the first place we go. Knowing that in 1970 the Cleveland came out makes it an interesting possibility to put in the car.
Not only do I want to do right, but also it will be a huge learning experience. I take automotive classes at school and am looking into the work field for college. The times I spent with my dad and brother doing things for the car are moments I will cherish forever, with the help of this car it will make it so these moments last longer than they would. The progress with our 69 is coming to an end. Some of my favorite memories were getting up early to help load the car up onto the trailer to take it to shows. Helping my brother show off the car was always amazing. Ill always remember the smile on my face and how proud I was to say ya, that’s my brothers car. Every time I look at the picture of your car I catch myself smiling, because I know my turn is coming for everyone to help me load MY car up and stand by my side saying ya, that’s her car.
-Katie Cunningham

---G---
Nichole Schmitt (chocolatecocoloco)

A Cougar for the Sesame Seed
I need to win this cougar for my precious husband, Josh. We will be celebrating our third anniversary this March and that car would be the perfect gift for him! Read on to find out why.
Josh is having a nap as I write this. He's asleep on top of the comforter, still wearing his coveralls – not too greasy – I checked. My step-son Joshua is beside me here, racing his matchbox cars on the desk. An olive green '69 Cougar Eliminator is racing a '58 T-bird. The cougar is winning of course.
Eleven-year-old Joshua follows Daddy around the property working on a continuous string of automotive projects including an excavator and a Ford F350. But Cougars are their greatest love. My step-son is a replica of his father, a mini-motor-head, constantly asking questions and wanting to help. One of their many projects is a '69 cougar 351 3sp sport special that is destined to be Joshua's when he turns 16. Daddy and son have been restoring it "together" since Joshua was old enough to play with hotwheels.
To this day, there are still signs of 5-year-old Joshua's work where he had applied some glossy black spray paint. He had seen Daddy paint the grill the day before and the little guy was just trying to imitate Dad. Josh fixed this unauthorized adjustment but it still looks like someone attempted to give the tail lights and lenses a tinted look. But that doesn't work for a classic Coug.
My husband "taught himself" how to drive at age 14 using his mother's '69 Cougar that grandpa had bought for her. The Ferndale police got to know Josh quite well because a single scolding and impound was not enough to keep Josh's hands off the steering wheel of that Coug. But, with money earned from a cannery job at age 15, Josh was able to purchase is first sky blue '69 xr7 for $800.
By his early 20's, my husband had a yard full of cougars and cougar parts. Everyone in Whatcom County knew him as "The Cougar Guy". If you needed anything cougar or mustang-related, Josh probably had it. In fact, if you called any of the three wrecking yards, you would have been referred to "Josh the Cougar Nut." One time Josh even traded an ultra-light air craft to get a cougar out of a scrap yard. His collection consisted of 15 or so Cougar carcasses, plus organized rows of parts for '67-'70 Cougs which included doors, fenders, bumpers, interiors, you-name-it. It was a seed bed for the beginnings of a classic Cougar parts business.
But, while Josh worked in Alaska one summer, his step-dad hauled everything to a heartless, indiscriminant recycler of metals. (*Gasp*!) Though Josh has never been able to rebuild that collection, his emotional health has been restored by a good therapist. Meanwhile, he has been able to keep at least one cougar project (or two) during the last 20 years. But Josh's dream is to restore a '69 or '70 Eliminator. When little Joshua’s friends ask ‘Why not a mustang,’ Josh says, "Oh for crappin out loud, man! Everybody and his dog owns a mustang! A Coug's got class AND muscle. And it's nice to be a little different!"
Currently, we have a ‘70 Cougar xr7 351C factory 4V in the yard that could "donate" all the organs needed for your Eliminator. Your Cougar would be the perfect gift for my husband. I need to give him the best gift ever because.... well... I'm working on producing another mini-motor-head for him. We’ve nic-named it “The Sesame Seed” (See title of essay  ). Yes, my "project" is due this summer. At 38 years old, MY dream is FINALLY coming true - A BABY! We'll find out the gender in March, right before our anniversary. By the time little Joshua is old enough to have his own car-projects, Daddy will need another little boy and another Cougar. So I'm hoping my child is a boy. Even if The Sesame Seed is a girl, she'll get a Cougar at age 16.

Your Eliminator would be the perfect "Thankyou" gift for my husband in return for giving me a baby. Please, may I have it? We've got the donor parts already and my hubby has the know-how. We'd appreciate the offer of the body work too. We have a car trailer that hooks up to the Ford so we can haul your Cougar ourselves.
If you say YES, then I'll start planning another anniversary trip to Oregon in March.
Nichole Schmitt

---H---
Virgil Wood

Dear West Coast Classic Cougar,

My name is Virgil Wood and I live in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. I am 13 years old and a huge Cougar fan!
This Grabber Green Eliminator is a picture of a car my dad owned when I was 7 years old. I loved that car and still dream of owning an identical version of it someday.
Most of the kids I know today like new cars or supped-up foreign rice burners. I am an old school muscle car gearhead. I have helped my dad restore his 1970 Competition Gold Eliminator ( See the attached picture with all of us) and am currently helping both my dad and grandfather restore his 1957 Thunderbird.
I love to go to car shows with our Cougar and I am very proud to tell people the story behind it.
I have a 1970 cougar parts car that my dad gave me. It has
all of the drivetain needed to restore an Eliminator, but it doesn’t have a title. It would be the perfect car to build the Eliminator that you are giving away.
Please consider me as the lucky candidate for your give away. I know my family is ready to help me restore the car just in time for me to learn to drive. It’s not a car I would drive everyday, but I would love to take it to all of our local car shows and park next to my dad’s Cougar and grandpa’s T-Bird.
Thanks for considering me!!
(entries continued in next post)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
---I---
68 MERC (For daughter Brooke)

Greetings Cougar Community:
I did not even consider entering this contest over a month ago, even though I thought it was an extremely generous gesture by WCCC. Why?, Because I do not need another car or another project. However, after seeing the deadline extension and thinking about what is really being offered for a while (car and 50% of the cost of restoration services), I’d like the Cougar Community to consider my daughter for this car. She is not a member of this forum, but is simply my little car buddy. I like to drag her to anything car related that I have time for, whether it is a local car show or just scrounging for parts. A couple forum members have even met Brooke during my travels over the years, such as Scott (428cougarguy) in Arizona and Bill (CougarBill) in Colorado.
Her passion is dancing, but she loves seeing old cars, going to car shows and has even volunteered to work at a local traditional hot rod show the last two years. She enjoyed the car show and volunteering so much, she even kept the volunteer wristband on for more than three weeks after the show! As a father, I love to see her passion and long for the days when we have something to work on together, that is hers.
Brooke will be 14 this year, so it will be a couple years before she can legally drive, which is a good thing. The next couple years would allow:
1. The body shop time to complete the work and paint
2. Time for me to pay the balance due
3. Time for Brooke and I to drive out and get the car.
4. Time for the two of us to put it all back together.

Other things to consider when considering Brooke for this car.....

I have a rebuilt 351C on the stand for the car.
I have a 4 speed and all the pedals for the car.
I have a set wheels for it.
I have a heated garage to store it.
I have a daughter that would be proud to own/drive it.

I’m not going to tell her about this contest, because if by some chance she would win, I want it to be a complete surprise. If she would win, I’ll let WCCC make the call! My only request is that I be notified of when the call is coming so that my wife can secretly video tape her confusions, expressions, disbelief and most of all, her great big smile.

P.S....she might make you paint it pink and black!
Thank you for considering Brooke ...........................(2020 Cougar Eliminator Calender Girl?)

---J---
NJ/PA Cougar Club (posted by kilroynj)

NOTE: We initially weren't sure about letting a club enter to win, but we think their heart is in the right place. With this in mind, we're giving them a chance.

Hi again from the Cougar Club of NJ and PA.
My wife and I closed on the house so we have a place for the club to work on the Cougar. Also the club has been talking about it and we have a new plan in mind. Below is a note to the club about the Cougar give away. So we hope we are one of the 10 that WCCC picks, we get your votes and we are in it for the kids!
Happy New Year, all. Hope everybody had a good holiday season.
Well, it's 1:50 am, and my mind had been racing after reading about this Eliminator giveaway. Do we REALLY want a chance of winning this car, but more importantly, REALLY make a difference?
When we complete the car, we sell it on Ebay, with a starting price of $20k - or whatever we decide. The starting price won't matter much, as people will dig deeper for a charity auction.
Here's the kicker...FORGET giving it back to the Cougar community. Donate every single dollar to a children's hospital. I was initially thinking of St Judes, but CHOP - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is in the club's backyard.
We can hand over the keys and title to the car as the winning bidder presents the check made directly to CHOP, on site!
Maybe, we should go as far as titling the car to the club, instead of a person (if possible) to lend credence to the mission. Do we have any legal eagles in the club who may be able to get insight on this and see if this is possible?
That's my .02, and a COMPETITION GREEN Eliminator winning pitch.

Congrats to the 10 finalists! Good luck to everyone.

Voters: It's in your hands now. Choosing won't be easy! We are on the edge of our seats to see what will happen. Let the voting begin!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think that this thread should not have any response posts form us "judges"...no need to have a complaint later about one judge pulling for one or another entry and possibly swaying other "judges".

Just my opinion.

I'm going home soon and will revisit this thread and review all of the finalist entries before I make my vote.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I agree Jeff and might I add that (IMO) people who have just joined and whose first post/vote is this thread should be disallowed from the voting results.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that this thread should not have any response posts form us "judges"...no need to have a complaint later about one judge pulling for one or another entry and possibly swaying other "judges".
I agree.... let's not discuss specific entries, who we voted for, etc. The arguments have already been presented by the contestants, so it's just a matter of each voter's opinion. Once it's all finished, then we can talk about it openly. Sound good?

I agree Jeff and might I add that (IMO) people who have just joined and whose first post/vote is this thread should be disallowed from the voting results.
Well, not necessarily... Obviously we don't want people creating fake accounts and cheating, but there are a lot of people out there who genuinely would like to participate but just haven't joined here before. We've promoted this on our facebook page, as well as our email list, so we don't want to turn those new people away.

Bob, you have ways of ensuring that nobody is creating multiple accounts, yes? Oh and also - is there any way you can change the poll closing day to the 14th? I goofed up and put "14 days" with the logic that today is the 1st... doh!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Andrew,

I changed the poll end date for you. As for the multiple account thing, it is kind of a case by case thing and there is no easy way to do it "en masse". I can offer editing out peoples choice if they insist on stating it (and did that for the posts so far). If there is foul play suspected I will of course see what I can to to help. Otherwise it's your party, but do let me know if there is something you need that I can help with.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree ! ? But there have been a lot of Vier allready to this page and only one person posted who they liked, Guess who i read first. Think its to late to ban posting who you like. Think every one should start posting who they like or voted for, So there will be so many up that it will not matter ? It will be hard to vote for me and have not yet still have to brake it down to 3 and I'll have to pick from there.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I agree ! ? But there have been a lot of Vier allready to this page and only one person posted who they liked, Guess who i read first. Think its to late to ban posting who you like. Think every one should start posting who they like or voted for, So there will be so many up that it will not matter ? It will be hard to vote for me and have not yet still have to brake it down to 3 and I'll have to pick from there.
Have no fear, supa mod is here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree.... let's not discuss specific entries, who we voted for, etc. The arguments have already been presented by the contestants, so it's just a matter of each voter's opinion. Once it's all finished, then we can talk about it openly. Sound good?

Well, not necessarily... Obviously we don't want people creating fake accounts and cheating, but there are a lot of people out there who genuinely would like to participate but just haven't joined here before. We've promoted this on our facebook page, as well as our email list, so we don't want to turn those new people away.

Bob, you have ways of ensuring that nobody is creating multiple accounts, yes? Oh and also - is there any way you can change the poll closing day to the 14th? I goofed up and put "14 days" with the logic that today is the 1st... doh!
I just hope it turns out fair for all and no cheating.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Congratulations to all the top 10 and good luck Sal

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I don't know why but I too am pretty excited! I keep revisiting this thread to see what votes have come in. I think we will have to do this again, anyone know of a rare car (cheap) that could go either way part out / fix up? It behooves us as parts vendors to keep every one of these cars that we can on the road.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Congratulations to all the top 10 and good luck Sal
It is finally here! Let the mayhem...er... voting commence!

I was reading through them all again yesterday evening, and ejoying all the awesome tales of "I will" this, and "because of" that. Good - no, GREAT stuff!

...and then later as I was drifting off to sleep with visions of rust, rubber and asphalt (as seen through "holy" floorboards) running through my head, it hit me.

Where was Sal's essay? I must have missed it. I didn't see his vote count either. Maybe I missed that too?

But no. Sadly, Sal's amazing, entertaining, and heart-felt video essay did not make the cut :-(

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
They say that cat Sal is a bad mo' 'fo (SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!) :buck:

(And a good sport too)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I didn't enter this, I reely don't need another project sitting in the shop. Besides there are far more deserving folks out there. But I thought I would mention that the rear license plate in the pictures, was on my Green 70 XR-7. I gave ithe plate to Don and WCCC when I left there. The hood loks like something from my last Eliminator clone Badcatt. But I think I painted that one with the rest of the car in 1997. Who ever wins this, have fun and make it a cool Cougar.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts