Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'70 351W. took out the points in 2000 and went electronic. upgraded to an MSD coil in 2008. hooked up one of Rocketman's tachs and used the coil for the rpm and the power. noticed the battery side of the coil only getting about 9.2 volts.

i was told this was fine for points, but not enough for electronic, and possibly too low for the new coil.

anyone know what kind of volts i need for each? and if i need more to the coil, how do i get it there??

thanks,
billy

·
Registered
669 Posts
I believe the MSD takes 12 volts. You can probably do a web search. You would have to bypass your original ignition wire.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the MSD takes 12 volts. You can probably do a web search. You would have to bypass your original ignition wire.
thanks. Rocketman said the same thing. what "symptoms" would i have with low VDC to the coil?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
What type of electronic ignition are we talking about here? Just the dizzy? or is it powered by an ignition box too? Some types of ignitions require the voltage to be dropped down to around 9 volts. If you are running an MSD box, you may not notice any symptoms other than it not starting. Most ignition boxes will put out full ignition voltage down to 9 volts on the ignition wire.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What type of electronic ignition are we talking about here? Just the dizzy? or is it powered by an ignition box too? Some types of ignitions require the voltage to be dropped down to around 9 volts. If you are running an MSD box, you may not notice any symptoms other than it not starting. Most ignition boxes will put out full ignition voltage down to 9 volts on the ignition wire.
not as smart as i should be about this, but.... it's a Mallory distributor and ignition (year 2000 or so). MSD Blaster 2 coil (around 2008). no ignition box. i did not install any of it.

it actually runs pretty well but i have been chasing an annoying miss for a while. thought it would get fixed when i had the valve job, but still have the miss. would it run as well as it is if the coil was not getting the voltage it needs?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Most Mallory distributors only need 9 volts to the coil. Can you find a part number on the housing? Have you tried another carb to see if that clears up a miss?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yeah, it's possible your chasing the wrong side of the issue..? What about the condition of the dizzy itself or the timing chain/gears. At what point do you experience the miss? Under load or at idle..?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I use a relay triggered by the original coil wire to give 12V directly to the ignition system.
The factory harness has a resistance wire in it so it's hard to bypass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts