Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help with the question above. I have a 67 XR7 and most likely will paint it Black Cherry. Also, will have a GTE Scoop. Car will be kept indoors and driven only in nice weather. Need inputs from all you vinyl owners, or anyone else also. Mainly inputs on care for the top versus a hardtop (Is it a pain) . Thanks

Steve

P.S. I have in hand, the vinyl trim for the car along the bottom back glass.:confused:

Also, the interior is going to be all black.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nope to the vinyl

I think a vinyl top only looks good when it contrasts the paint colour. So a black top on the Black Cherry is going to be too similar and won't contrast enough and a white top is going to look garish against the elegant black cherry. So no top for me in with the cherry.

Neal

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Jim Pinkerton and Royce Peterson have the combo on their 68s (GTE and XR-7 CJ) and Scott Beneke has a 69, een below. I think it looks great, I also like black on black. I do agree a white top isn't the best for Black Cherry, but if it had a white interior and white pin stripes it might be nice.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm a fan of the vinyl top, especially if it was a factory installed option but I see Cougars without the vinyl and think how clean they look especially the darker colors.

My Coug has one and the plan is to keep that vinyl top look no matter what color I paint it. ( black on black? -maybe, probably, we'll see... :) )

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Should

i think you should unless you plan for all the Eliminator spoilers and all. i think it will look ok with the GTE scoop as long as you paint it body color as well. i plan on taking the vinyl top off of the 70 i may aquire ( yes its still in Limbo but looking up for me at the moment :D ) i plan to paint it Cobalt Blue and have the Eliminator scoop, front and rear spoilers and MAYBE a 70 Elim Style stripe ( id rather have a unique design, i need to come up with it. ) thats the plan at the moment anyway. i am known to change my mind as far as color and stuff goes though. but i do want the sccops and stuff for sure. all of that will not be body color though. it will go together, just take a look around and see what you want and go for it. screw what we all think. but personally i think it will look great on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vinyl Top

When we got our 68. The vinyl top had been replaced years ago with a bad substitute. As a result, the metal under the top was rusted, with some holes showing through. I like the vinyl top, but we would have made our car a hardtop without vinyl if we could have. Unfortunately, due to the condition of the roof, we were forcd to put the vinyl back on (correct this time). I think that, because you will have your car garaged, you should put the vinyl roof on.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Vinyl top

I changed my tan 1/2 top to black. It looks much better! I love the contrast too. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
TIM B WHOSE CAR DID YOU POST?

and what color is it, i think that would look great on my car with my ginger interior, but i am gonna remove the vinyl roof,
PLMK whos car it is and what color it is
THANKS

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
:ylsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts