Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the vinyl top on my 69 XR7 from the original cream to black. Getting the old fabric off wasn't a problem, but getting 42 year old adhesive off was a challenge. I did a search on this forum and came up with several suggestions on the "best" way to remove the old adhesive. I've tried several of them and here are my unscientific findings:

Acetone - good for final clean up but doesn't do much of anything with thick, dried up old adhesive.

Sanding - definately removes the old glue, but difficult around eaves, windows, etc. Sanding disc loaded up quickly with fuzz. Can also remove chunks of roof and round off corners if not VERY careful- ask me how I know :uhoh:

WD-40 - works, but takes several soaking applications and still a lot of elbow grease

Goo Gone - $6 bottle of spray gel worked better than anything else. And smelled a lot better (citrus?). Sprayed the entire bottle on the top after removing as much of the fuzz as possible. Let it soak overnight, then used hard plastic scraper and razor knife (carefully) to remove "gum".

MEK - didn't try. It still scares me to work with this potent of a solvent in my garage. And it cost $30 a gallon, even in diluted strength.

Luckily, there is only one small rust spot to fix above the windshield on drivers side, then I'm ready for sanding and painting prior to installing new black vinyl top.

Then I'm ready to start on converting the interior from cream to black! That promises to be a little more time consuming and a whole lot more expensive. Any opinions on which items can be painted and which should be reupholstered?? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
3M makes (or used to make) an adhesive remover which is what I've used in the past. It worked great but did leave a greasy residue that had to be wiped off with thinner. Or you can try my more permanent solution to vinyl roof rust ;)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Recover the front seats, dye everything else , on
less you are going to have people riding in the back a lot, then re do front and rear. Don't use the gloss black dye, find flat black.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts