Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Someone in my Cougar's former life had installed an aftermarket sunroof. Over time it leaked, and water got trapped between the roof and the vinyl, and thus rust was born. So tonight I ripped of the vinyl and took out the sunroof. A couple of rust spots have rusted through all the way.

So what I want to do is replace the bad metal including the hole where the sunroof was and put a new vinyl top on. Any ideas or advice on this project? How much could I expect from a body shop to charge for doing this work? What more can I do myself (very little talent in this area, but willing to learn)?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well, I would say you be willing to learn is a good thing but unless you have some welding skills this may or maynot be a good project to learn on. Without seeing the damage first hand I'm assuming the rust is all located in the area directly around the sunroof hole and you would need to cut out the complete area surrounding the hole and fabricate a new metal patch to cover it.

The patch would have to be rolled somewhat to match the curve of the roof not only side to side but also front to rear and that would be the trickiest part. Then comes the welding, also not the easiest job on thin sheetmetal if your not skilled at it. Also if I remember right there is a brace under the roof that might have been cut out for the sunroof and that would have to be replaced also by welding.

Thing is I have never seen a body shop that charged for estimates so you can take some pictures of the damage and let them give you some prices to go off of. I think the patching is not going to be more expensive than the new vinyl roof and head liner. mm

·
Registered
433 Posts
I believe that part of the roof is the same as the mustang, so you could get a mustang roof and use that as your patch (they are more plentiful than Cougar roofs). I had found a complete roof for 400 bucks, but ended up not needing it. Maybe you could get the portion you need for less.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Brian this is not a job to tackle for your first job without an english wheel and knowing how to weld large areas it is best left to experts. find a body shop that specializes in street rods and chop tops. it will cost more and you will love the job not cuss at the mechanic later on. you gets whatscha pay fer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I think I'll take photo's and start shopping around. Anyone from the Portland, OR area that knows a good shop?

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts