Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm looking for a project Cougar. I'm not a fan on the vinyl tops but it seems a lot of what's out there was or still is a vinyl top. How difficult will it be to make one of the a hard top? Is it simply removing the trim and filling those holes or is the metal underneath fundamentally different and even cleaned-up/painted will look like something is missing?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
The top is the same. The factory just punched holes for the trim. You can fill the holes, but the best way is to have them welded up. That requirs removing the interior to prevent a fire. The glue used to hold the vinyl on is a pain to remove but doable. Then the top will need to be painted. What I did one was I removed the vinyl, painted the car and put the trim back on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea on welding them closed. Might be a good learn to weld excessive before moving on to rust repair these old cats have! Thanks

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
Another option if it's a 67 or 68 would be to paint the cat and put the trim back on. The contrast looks cool, plus if you ever sell her the buyer may want to put vinyl back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with all the replies. I would recommend finding a non vynl top car, if that's what you want in the end.
When I got my 68 in 96, it had a vynl top. I didn't care for it at the time, and wanted it gone. I got sort of lucky... It was a California car, so no cancerous rust. It still had pitting and the cost was more than it could of been if I started with a car without the vynl top.
The vynl tops hold in moisture over the years, and create rust and pitting. Espeacially along the seams and edges.The cost of body work for that repair, and filling the holes where the trim goes, will most definitely be more than you probably want.
BTW...20 + years later, the original look, ie dark forest green with the black vynl top, has grown on me, and makes me think if I didn't get the custom color I did and remove the vynl, I still would have been very happy keeping it stock. And it would have saved $ in the process that could of went to other areas of the car.
Good luck. And if you plan on keeping it, build it how you want it. You want to be happy .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts