Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using duplicolor vinyl paint to change my rear seat from blue to black. I have gone through eight cans and still cant get the paint to shine. Some parts of the seat look like they should and the rest is dull. I cleaned and prepped everything. Any ideas why its taking so much?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I know SEM makes different levels of clear, like satin to high gloss. I wanted clear for my armrests to protect my dye from wear. Maybe get some vinyl clear to try to get the shine you want.
Kevin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is though that some places are gloss black like they are supposed to be and other parts are just flat. The color is gloss black so it should all be gloss. Its like when you paint base coat/ clear coat paint, the base is glossy then it flashes and stays dull untill the clear is applied. Thats the best way to describe whats going on. The vinyl paint acts like its flashing. The vinyl paint is glossy in some parts and dull everywhere else when it should be glossy because thats what im using.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I imagine it's due to different levels of wear and the texture of the vinyl has changed, the stuff that has stretched is probably absoring more and looking a bit duller...probably more pronounced on dark colors. We had varying degrees of success changing colors in the past as well....seats are the toughest and tend to need re-treated fairly often. Never tried the clear though - might be worth a shot as long as the glossy doesn't get even glossier! Black is going to be unforgiving I would bet....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Can't vouch for Duplicolor dye, can for SEM.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm using duplicolor vinyl paint to change my rear seat from blue to black. I have gone through eight cans and still cant get the paint to shine. Some parts of the seat look like they should and the rest is dull. I cleaned and prepped everything. Any ideas why its taking so much?
When you mean some parts shine and the rest is dull, could it be that the vinyl is shiny but the leather parts are dull?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The seat is all vinyl. I got the top to have a uniform shine now i need to add more to the bottom i guess

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i gave up on the seat and installed it. Afterwards i decided to try some meguires natural shine protectant. Now the seat shines like it should. Wish i wouldve tried that sooner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts