Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to change my interior color to Parchment. Is there a vinyl dye available that will match the original Parchment panels, or should I plan on dying everything? Any suggestions on where to get the best product? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm interested in this also. Not to high jack, but are there any good matches for '67 red.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
SEM dye is available in the factory colors from NPD. Very good stuff.

I have dyed my door panels, rear interior quarter panels, over head console, and so on...most of which were not originally blue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AZCAT, Thanks, I did find a listing for SEM light parchment on the NPD site, but it doesn't come up on the SEM site. I also found a vinyl dye on the mustang unlimited site. Now to my question, Does anyone know if any of these dyes are a good match to the original parchment color? I currently have an assortment of panels and pieces in several colors, I'd like to just dye the panels that are not parchment as long as it's a close match. If I need to dye all panels, I'd rather know that up front.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I believe the SEM vinyl dye is custom mixed for NPD. You will only find Classic Coat and Color Coat colors on the SEM website. The Classic Coat is matched to late model cars, and the Color Coat is available in a wide variety of generic colors. They are clearly pre-mixed from SEM, and available off the shelf at many auto paint stores.

The SEM cans from NPD are marked "universal"…I know many body shops can custom mix vinyl dye into spray cans. I am thinking this is what NPD has done.

I cannot speak for the parchment color accuracy, but my light blue was right on the money. By the way, the Rainbow brand from various Mustang vendors is garbage.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Something to think about. Unless your panels are pristine condition, if you put fresh paint on everything else it is likely not going to match. Even if the color is exact, new and 40 years old aren't going to look the same. Personally I would have to have everything original or everything new. But I am fussy by nature when it comes to such things.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'm with Al on this one although I did not redye my door panels while the 1/4 trim panels are reupholstered and the metal part painted. The door panels probably would look even better with fresh dye/paint.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since nothing in the green interior looks good, I'd rather switch it to parchment than replace & re-dye & still have a green:bloated: interior. I guess this winter will be spent cleaning & dying. hopefully the front seats with new vinyl will look close enough to suit me:) Thanks for the input.

Paul

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
SEM can be custom matched/ mixed. I have done 2 - 68's w/ parchment. One had non factory seats and wanted to match them. The other was a total color change from maroon to parchment. Use laq thinner and lots of time and fresh air! Suggest Bulldog primer...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It is used for cleaning the surfaces so the primer and dye stick. Make sure and let items "breath" for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I do the same thing as Bill except I use MEK rather than thinner. The MEK not only cleans but softens the vinyl and seems to allow it to absorb the dye better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill,

Why Bulldog primer & not the primer from SEM? Who makes / sells Bulldog primer?

Any estimate of how many cans of dye I'd need to do all of the interior except the front seats?

I'd appreciate any other info or recommendations from you folks that have done this.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
You'll probably need 6 cans of dye. I don't use primer but I do use the SEM vinyl prep. Make sure it's hot when you spray the dye and that you use multiple thin coats rather than fewer, thicker coats.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
MEK, have not tried it....yet!
here's pic's IMG_8699.jpg

and after.
IMG_1781.jpg

I use bulldog due to others in the industry referring it. I'm not a fan of SEM's prep products. Too weak, and problems show up later.

I suggest trying to find a SEM shop (PPG here in Colorado) who custom mix to match. They have done at least 10 for me over the years. I would suggest getting a gallon. Cost of 3 qts usually equals Gal. You can spray w/ small touch up gun.

Get a headliner in the color you want, and get seat material and then decide which to match the dye. Cost should be around $70- maybe $100 for the match and gallon. Spray right out of the can, no reducing,or additives.

The cost of the spray cans will eat alive. Plus dye lot differences between cans. Surfaceprep w/ lint free cloths. LOTS of very light coats. Lots of places to store pieces while they dry, best over night in a verticle position.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Saddle Tan is particularly difficult as the dyed items always appear to have a green tint compared to the original saddle tan. Even the reproduction saddle tan parts like arm rests have this green tint. I'm not sure why that color cannot be duplicated properly. I was able to get a custom mix locally that is very close but it isn't for vinyl. There is an advantage to having a black interior. Maybe parchment doesn't have the same issues. I am a little color blind maybe that is my real issue :confused:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts