Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive used vinyl dye in the past and it always comes out good. The thing is i have always covered other colors with black dye. I have a black dash pad that I need to dye blue and was wondering how it would cover. I figure someone has done this I would like to know how it went. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've done black to aqua on vinyl, no.problem. I also used the white dye on new black repro door speaker grilles and they came out awesome. I also worried about dark to light with the dyes but after trying it, its just like paint without the feel of paint. Just go easy with many light coats and of course proper prep is key. Do a search for threads by my user name, I did a step by step review with.pics of this very process.
Kevin

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've done black to aqua on vinyl, no.problem. I also used the white dye on new black repro door speaker grilles and they came out awesome. I also worried about dark to light with the dyes but after trying it, its just like paint without the feel of paint. Just go easy with many light coats and of course proper prep is key. Do a search for threads by my user name, I did a step by step review with.pics of this very process.
Kevin

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I feel like it will cover good. As for the blue dash pad thanks for the offer but the dash is not on a cougar, I just trust this forum alot better than others. I appreciate the replies and hopefully it goes well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm finishing up the interior on the '69 and it's nugget gold. Some of the parts I fumed white and then went with the nugget gold so I would be putting the gold over a lighter color instead of darker color. Came out real nice.
On a side note, had ordered dye from one supplier and the color was way off. I've found SEM to be the best as far as color match. Both on my '68 saddle interior and the '69 nugget gold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts