Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a standard 67 power steering pump that's not working for my application. I have a 70's power steering pump I want to install, and I want to know if there's any benefits or pitfalls? How much would it affect the overall power steering system. Would adaptation have to be made to any fittings? My entire engine is 60's in the rear, 70's belt drive and pulleys...Is the reservoir large enough?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What do you mean by "not working for my application"? Doesn't fit or? In my experience, the insides are all the same (within reason). On my original '70 HT, the pump gears went bad and were howling quite a bit. In my usual ECI fashion, I took a totally different pump (with the same basic pump beyond the can and pulley, etc...) and transplanted the pumps guts into my pump. Used that pump from that day forward with no issues whatsoever. There are probably different pressure regulating springs in some pumps (comments anyone?), but doubt the reservoir size would be an issue unless it is radically different than what is supposed to go on your car originally.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh I see, well I grabbed a power steering bracket and pump from a 74 cougar. The reason why the old one doesn't work for my application anymore is because I did some performance mods that block that made the stock set up a bit impossible. It seems like the pulley on the newer pump is bigger and the reservoir is smaller. But he hoses are interchangeable.

thanks a million for your advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts