Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture or actual "Crouching Cougar" graphic/decal? I'm not sure of the year, early 70's I think. I haven't been able to find one, even on Ebay.
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hmmm, not sure what you mean by "Crouching Cougar". The original Cougar logo is usually referred to as the "Running Cat" or the "Walking Cat" logo.

Is this the one you are thinking of (see attached)?

If so, "mmmeat" aka Brian has had some decals of this logo made up. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, but that one wasn't the one I had in mind. The one I am thinking about shows a silhouette of the cat crouching down in front like it's ready to pounce.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No such beast, at least as a factory emblem. You may be thinking of a jaguar emblem although that cat appears to be leaping as opposed to crouching.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well, hmmmm again!

It don't think (and I could be wrong) that what you are talking about is an official Mercury logo. Or maybe it is for a later Cougar that I'm just not familiar with?

Anyway you could post a pic or point me to a website were you've seen it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
This came on the back of my standard. Don't know where it came from but I like it so it stayed. Sal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hey, look at the top of this website!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one I am thinking of, the cat is down on its forelegs with its butt in the air...kind of the opposite of the logo at the top of this website! For the life of me, I can't remember where I saw it, as it's been many, many years ago.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Propane, you are correct, the one at the top of the web site could have been the Mercury logo for the dealerships. I seem to remember now that there was a crouching cat in the mercury sign in front of our local dealership. That is the cat on the back of my car. Never seen one crouching ready to pounce. Sal

BTW I still want a print of your signature art, sure would look great in my office.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't know about a "graphic", but during the introduction of the Cougar, there was a stuffed, taxidermied (sp ?) Cougar that was used by the L-M division to advertise the coming of the Cougar. It is down on its forelegs with its hind quarters raised in a position that sounds like the one you describe. It might be on the TCCN achives.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Like this?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sal - I don't know if Stew (kilroynj) is planning on having some digital posters run out of the 2011 Nats art. I will make sure to bring it up next time we talk.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sal - I don't know if Stew (kilroynj) is planning on having some digital posters run out of the 2011 Nats art. I will make sure to bring it up next time we talk.
I am on it and will talk to the officers about printing something up

Talk to you all soon

Spring has Sprung but someone forgot to put Old Man winter to bed

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about this running cat logo? It's been on my 71 before I bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
kilroynj, I understand production cost and having to make a profit, If it works out, I'll take 2. Sal

·
Registered
45 Posts
This Cougar graphic was applied by the PO, but no "raised hind quarters"...
CougarGraphic.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts