Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking one of the advantages of a roller engine set up, will be the easier idle, making A/C a good idea. Since my 69 was a factory A/C car, I already have all the vents, pulley's, etc...Has anyone converted a factory A/C car, to the vintage air set up? Wouldn't it be cheaper, to make the conversion, or is it cheaper to refurbish the stock stuff?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I don't know about cheaper. But I retrofitted a Vintage Air Generation II system into my factory air car using all the stock vents and defroster ducts. I did pop for a few options like a billet control panel and a 4 port bulkhead to clean up the firewall.

Going forward, every car I build will get the same system... it's THAT good.

Read about it here:

http://www.classiccougargarage.net/showthread.php?tid=56

You will read that at the time the story was written, it was in the car for 4 years. It has NOW been in the car 9 years and I have still not had to service anything on it.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
For my factory A/C car, I used all the factory components under the dash but upgraded everything in the engine compartment to Classic Auto Air R134 components. You can get the underhood conversion for $800 +/-.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It really depends on condition of existing interior components. If the AC box and vacuum system is in good working order you may be better served just doing the engine bay parts. I work for Classic Auto Air out of Tampa and will be happy to answer any questions you may have on your options for AC.

You can call me at 813-251-2356 x 7022 ask for Ron.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was mostly thinking out loud...With my car getting paint and body, and a new planned roller cam conversion, it seemed like a good idea. I need to save some cash though, so I can move out of Idaho!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, and if my name was Simplot, I wouldn't leave....However for most folks the economy out there SUCKS...Time for me to move on down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts