Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VIN is OF91H53263B. I looked it up on the ccoa site and it explained that my engine is an "H", but what's an "H"? I'm starting to think that the previous owner might not have been correct with some of the information he provided. I don't think he was dishonest, just misinformed.

I still love my cougar, I'd just like to know more about it while I wait for it to come back from the garage.

Thanks.

· Premium Member
6,978 Posts
H is the base engine 351-2V.
Could be either a Windsor or Cleveland engine.

Your car is a 1970 standard hardtop.
The sequential number puts it as built in Dec. 1969, plus or minus.

· Registered
7,580 Posts
Looks to me like a 1970, out of Dearborn. 2 door hardtop, 351 CU 2V, the 32,638th one off the line.....

If you post the other data tag, somebody will decode that one for you....

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I misread my title on the "B". The guy I bought it from said it was a Cleveland, but since I don't know anything about them it could be either. He bought it in 1979 and I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Is there a way to differentiate between the two "H" engines visually? It's got a 2 barrel holley on it, but I know that he said it wasn't the original carb because he offered to give me the original that was still in his garage.

The buck tags are at the garage along with the car. I'll post them when I get it back this week. It's getting the front end worked on, along with converting the a/c and some suspension work. I've driven it less than 40 miles since I bought it and I'm getting antsy. I've dropped by the garage everyday since I dropped off the car just to visit it. Is that sad?

· Registered
551 Posts
Go get that original carb! It's good to have just in case, should follow the car to whereever it ends up and if one day someone wants to return it to stock, it's possible. Plus if you really want to, you can probably unload it for a few bucks.

Keep visiting the shop to stay involved. But them pizza one day too. Stuff like that goes a long way when you're depending on a service and the skills of others. Just make sure you're not in the way and taking up their time with redundant questions.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went by and checked it out. It's definitely a Cleveland. I'll call the previous owner and see if I can get the original carb back too. I don't plan on restoring it to original anyway, but you never know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts