Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the car I recently purchased, the VIN plate on the driver's side of the car seems to not be part of the car. It's almost as though someone placed it over the existing one. I tried to dislodge it, but no luck. I'm afraid I don't feel like removing the windhield quite yet.

Can anyone tell me, or better yet, provide a picture of what the VIN looks like on a 70 cougar. In my experience, the VIN's are typically bolted onto the car, but it really doesn't look like it here. I assume 67-73 were the same deal. I'd hate to think I bought a stolen car :eek2:

Thanks.

Sly

P.S. If anyone needs a pic of it, I could get one later today.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
This is a 70 VIN plate,

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
This is a 1969 VIN plate, the 68 looks the same but is on the passengers side. As you can see here, the plate is pop riveted on. On 69 - 72s the VIN is stamped on the top of the shock towers. This is hidden by the fender but not imposible to get to. on the 69 it is the compleet VIN on 70 & newer it is a shortened VIN, They droped the body number(91,93 ect) and enging code(H,M,Q ect) You also should have a body buck tag on the core suport above the passengers side head lights, this has the VIN on it as well as other info about how the car was built. Neal

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thansk for the info. My VIN plate looks like the plate of the pic of the 70 that was posted. I've included a pic, if anyone can confirm that it's good... which it looks like, well...

I'm having one of those "Buyer Beware" moments.

Sly

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My 1972 XR-7 Vin No has a 93 in it and a H.??

"on 70 & newer it is a shortened VIN, They droped the body number(91,93 ect) and enging code(H,M,Q ect"

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
72Cat,

The VIN on your dash is the full VIN, in your case, probably something like 2F93H5xxxxx. This breaks down as follows:

2 is the year, 1972.
F is the assembly plant (Dearborn (Detroit) Michigan.
93 is the code for XR-7 Hardtop.
H is the engine code for 351-2bbl, both Windsor and Cleveland built 351-2Vs.
Then the last six numbers are the serial or sequential number. Mercury begins with 500001 and goes up from there.

On the shock tower, you'll see an abbreviated version, 2F5xxxxx, but probably not visible unless you remove the fender.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
You learn something new everyday, just checked the dash and there it is, the VIN no. I got the VIN no from the licence disc on my windscreen, don't you guys have to have a licence disc with all the cars info on it for traffic officials to check when you are i.e. speeding, double parked, or when they stop you for the hell of it cos' they don't know what the hell you are driving. Mine just says Cougar, which still leaves them completely in the dark.
Dayle

·
Registered
889 Posts
my VIN

The number on my vin is 9F93S534105 A 33 Being that my car is a 69 it was deliverd on 12-31-68 would that make my car the 4105 car or the 105th car made for the 69 year? Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Probably the 534105th mercury made, ever.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Scrap that post, mine is 532075, which would not make sense, well you know how the female mind works,:D :D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Mercury serials

Mercury serial numbers start with 500001 and go up from there.

Dan, yours was the 34,105th Mercury made/ordered down that assembly line for that model year.

72Cat, yours was the 32,075th Mercury made/ordered that model year.

My two 73s were made about six weeks apart, AlphaCat being made the last week of November 1972, and BetaCat in the first week of January 1973. AlphaCats is 529520, while BetaCat's is 537418.

72Cat, I'm sure most of our cars here are available online or by a quick radio call. They type in either the license plate number or the VIN and can tell who owns it, where they live, and what the car is. Mine would come back as 1973 Mercury 2dr sedan. Funny, it's a hardtop! We have to renew our license plates every year, and update any changes of residence, etc. Every state here has its own licensing agency, but the information is freely shared amongst government officials.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
If they type in our number, they will get Stephens name etc, but when it comes to make of car it will just say Mercury, light passenger, sedan. There is no info on their computers on USA cars so series is unknown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts