Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several references here about the VIN on the engine matching the car and other similar references. I have never seen a VIN on a Ford engine. In one instance I asked about where the person was seeing this VIN number and took the response to my garage where I looked at 3 blocks and found no hint of a VIN in the area mentioned or anywhere else on the block. My understanding for the last several decades is that Ford did not stamp VINs on the engines. So what am I missing here? Is this something with later model engines?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Letsroll, my block has the VIN to my car stamped on it. If you go to my profile and go to my album, there's a pic of it (2nd pic, 1st pic has VIN stamped on transmission). I didn't discover the VIN stamped on the back of the block just past the intake manifold until sometime after removing the intake manifold. EDIT: Here's a link to a pic of the VIN on the block: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/album.php?albumid=346&attachmentid=21414 . John

·
Registered
437 Posts
WCCC has a "cougar by the numbers" video. Check it out. I watched it and then went and found the vin on my block.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
This is the VIN from a 1968 J code engine.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I've seen the VIN on 351C heads too.

Also, if the block is heavily painted or fairly crusty it will most likely obscure the VIN stamps.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I have found the reason for my confusion. The blocks I have are pre-68. According to some research Feds mandated the numerical part of the vin stamped on the engine starting in 1968. I will have to have a look at my 1974 351 block when the car gets back from paint. Since I have mostly messed with the old stuff I have never come across the vin on a block. And did not look for such in the few later stuff since I worked over since I was not expecting it. Learn sumptin' every day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts