Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok check this out i bought acougar at the begining of this month and there are two different numbers on it which one should i pay attention to? i have one on the door plate and the plate on the radiator support that are the same. then i also have one thats egraved in the frame ( side fire wall) next to the fender. which one is authentic?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There isn't a VIN# on the dash in 67 is there?

Doors are easily changed. Does the data plate match the description of your car......same color, trim, engine, trans etc.? The most reliable is the inner fender, driver's side. There should be one under the passenger side too but it's hidden under the fender.

Is the one on the radiator support a metal tag? If so, it's the buck tag and should match one of them!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn i didnt see a thing. where is that vin supposed to be exactly? on the dash board?where the dash pad supposed to be?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the vin on the radiator support matches the one on the door but the thing is the vin is only off by one number and its the one that tells me if my cougar is a standard or xr-7 so im kinda excited

·
11,000 Posts
Misstamps are common. If it's off by one number between the inner fenders and door tag then the one that matches the title is likely correct. Get a Marti Report to be sure.

1967's don't have a dash VIN.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dearborn, Michigan Standard, Hardtop 289-4V 112705 1967
this is the info that was given to me

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm so im guessing the VIN is 7F91A612705? or something like that?

and if im right.. its just sooo sad that i know that off the top of my head

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This is mine:9F94R5*****(leave out the last 5# if you wish)
76B M 6F 15L 15 9 U (from the Data Plate)

Model Year: 1969

Assembly Plant: Dearborn, Michigan

76B=Body Style: XR7, Convertible

R=Engine Model: 428-4V CJ RAM AIR

Sequential Number: *****

76B=Body Style: XR7, Convertible

M=Exterior Color: White

6F=Interior Trim: Med. Saddle Corinthian Vinyl & Med. Saddle Leather

15L=Scheduled Mfg. Date: NOVEMBER 15

15=District Sales Office: New York, NY

9=Differential type/Ratio: 3.25 Non-Locking

U=Transmition Model: C-6 Automatic

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
(third and fourth digit)
91 Standard Hardtop
92 Standard Convertible
93 XR-7 Hardtop
94 XR-7 Convertible

7F91.....would be a standard 67 HT,
7F93.... would be a 67 Xr-7 HT

For a 67 XR-7 the Data Plate would be 65B, 65A for a standard, 65C for a standard bench seat

·
Registered
906 Posts
Many cars have been rebodied because of rust, wrecks, or other damage done to the body. It is very simple to replace a buck tag at the radiator area, the tag which is sometimes at the coil, and put another door on a car. Under your front fenders below where the bolts attach under the hood is stamped the vin number for that body. If your fenders are ever off the car, you will see this number. This is how many potential owners find out if they are getting the real thing, especially on a very expensive sale. It is not uncommon for a potential Mustang buyer to request the fender removed to check the number. I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan to show in a concourse class.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts