Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Normally, the dash VIN is assumed to be the correct one, because doors can be replaced. BUT, with 71-73s, the dash VIN comes out with the dash pad. That said, the best way to be sure is to pull a front fender and check out the shock tower apron at the top where it is normally covered by the fender. That will be an abbreviated VIN. Hopefully, yours will read 3F532710. That abbreviated VIN is also found on the engine on the back of the block, just below the driver's side head, and again on the top of the transmission main case by the extension housing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
is it just the 71-73 that comes out with the dash pad? mine came out with my dash pad on my 68...of course it looks like its aluminum and had some corrosion so whatever held it in didnt stand a chance....

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
First things first. What vin number does the title/registration have on it?
That doesn't help if it was done incorrectly in the first place! Shock tower VIN is the surest way to determine what he really has since that is stamped into a welded-on assembly and not easily changed/replaced. He might also get lucky and have the buck tag still in place (look behind right headlight assembly on the front side of the radiator support for a 2"x3" metal tag held by one screw...)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm not saying not to inspect the car for all potential vin numbers; by all means, but if we know the number from the title, and any others, I can check them against the national database and we may find out something important. Not to mention, if the title number is different from any others on the car, we have a major problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VIN on title same as dash, interior looks all original, door may have been replaced is what im thinking, seeing how there is slight body damage on the drivers side. being front fender and driver side bumper and tip of hood. soon as i get the fenders pulled ill get back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts