Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
6,980 Posts
OK.... 92 designates a convertible <chuckle>, there should be 6 digits after the "S", and the first "1" should be a "5"? CJ did I get that right?
Sorry, no.

7F92S169814 is what is stamped on the fender apron. Six digits after the S.

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry, no.

7F92S169814 is what is stamped on the fender apron. Six digits after the S.
OK. No because I missed the 4 buried in the paint, the first part, the second, some of the above or all of it?

·
6,980 Posts
OK. No because I missed the 4 buried in the paint, the first part, the second, some of the above or all of it?
Just the 9, it should be a zero.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My buddy's very early 71 Mach 1 had pieces on it that were not found on cars built even a month later - a woodgrain insert for the console around the shifter, chrome(not argent) sportlamp bezels, and most curious the shock tower VIN started with a 0, not a 1 (0F05H10xxxx instead of a '71 VIN 1F05H10xxxx) Not that a 70 or 71 could ever be mistaken for one another - nothing interchanges!

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just the 9, it should be a zero.
OK CJ,

I'm definitely the rookie here then. You're talking about the second 9 right? Doesn't the first group together with following digit to designate body style (i.e. 91: Standard Hardtop, 92: Standard Vert, 93: XR7 Hardtop, and 94: XR7 Vert)? If it is the second that would have to do with a production number sequence error - something I would never notice. Please enlighten me - I'm completely missing this.

THX,
Neil

·
6,980 Posts
My bad, it is the first 9.

The true VIN should read 7F02S169814, this was seen on a Mustang fastback.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts