Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn’t sure where to post this story but being that it has primarily to do with VIN numbers I thought that this was the most appropriate. In pulling apart this parts car that is currently in my garage (70 XR7) my father and I came across a most unusual find – an incorrectly [placed build sheet. Now when I say incorrect I mean the build sheet was not even close to what this car was supposed to be. While I’m testing some window motors on my work bench my dad tells me that he just pulled a build sheet in relatively good condition – almost all the code info is very legible. As he hands it to me and I read it through not noticing that the VIN number wasn’t even close to what this car is my eyes wander to the comment section at the bottom and it reads: Cougar Eliminator. WTF!!!?? I can’t make this up. Here’s is the pic – just pulled it out tonight and it says the color is orange. There’s no orange paint near this vehicle. The VIN on the build obviously is a “91” and the VIN on the car calls for a “93” designating an XR7 which it clearly is. There are no Eliminator parts on this car whatsoever – just XR7 stuff. The cars VIN is 0F93H514901 and the build sheet is 0F91M510705. Anybody want to shed some light on this type of anomaly? S7303215.jpg

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Not all that unusual. I once found a Hemi RR build sheet in a 383 car. The workers just wanted rid of them and threw them anywhere quite often.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
These two VIN's were probably produced in September of 1969.

Probably scheduled for building in batches, by DSO? Maybe a delay of Eliminator, 351-4V, or other assembly parts. In any event your car and the Eliminator likely came down the line very close together on the same day.

I have found incorrect build sheets in cars too.

·
Registered
928 Posts
One of the 429CJ cougar owners found a prestine build sheet in his car - it was for a 302 Mustang coupe!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is too hard, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!!!"

LOL Neil.

"my father and I came across a most unusual find"

Okay, I now believe you that your dad is involved in your Cougar parts business but I still think you make posts for/as him!

In any case, Happy Holidays man.

E-Bob

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,

You never cease to make me chuckle. You seem to be the only one who obsesses over the dynamic on how my father and I do business. Happy Holiday Buddy...

Neil

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hopefully the owner of that eliminator is a member here or maybe Dave will shed some light on the subject.
My elim came with the carpet and underlament removed and NO build sheet:(

What are the odds that the car still exists and what current owner wouldn't love to add to the paperwork collection.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hopefully the owner of that eliminator is a member here or maybe Dave will shed some light on the subject.
My elim came with the carpet and underlament removed and NO build sheet:(

What are the odds that the car still exists and what current owner wouldn't love to add to the paperwork collection.....
Jeff,

This car is not currently known to the Eliminator database or per Phil, previously known to the national database. Buildsheets are occasionally found, as they were supposed to be removed and thrown away. Sometimes multiples will be found, I have 3 from my '70 R code Mach1 that were all on the drivers floor. We have also had 2 additional different Vins in one vehicle. In that case the finder had two distinct buildsheets for other cars, but did not have one of their own.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Neil,

Would you please email me a high resolution photo of the buildsheet, so that I can add it to the registry?

[email protected]

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Interesting! Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Neat. Assembly line culture is, to me, pretty intriguing to investigate. Especially during the old days of Cougar production.

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Neat. Assembly line culture is, to me, pretty intriguing to investigate. Especially during the old days of Cougar production.
Andy,
Same here. Reminds me of the days when my Dad sold these new off the lot and drove home the dealer cars. He's got some amazing stories of not only what they did at the factory but what went on the dealerships. There was lots of drinking, gambling, and skirt chasing going on back in the day. The end result was a piece of Americana that will never happen again. I'm not saying that’s what drove it but I would definitely say it had an effect. Another thing I always find interesting is some of the other little treasures we find in used cars that we buy. Somebody could drive a whole thread about that. Hmmmmmm... :cyclops:

Neil

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
......... Another thing I always find interesting is some of the other little treasures we find in used cars that we buy. Somebody could drive a whole thread about that. Hmmmmmm... :cyclops:

Neil
I don't buy cars, but what I found interesting (and considered starting a thread about) was the things I'd see in Cougars I found in junk yards back in the mid 80's. Back when most junk yards had several 67-70's.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

This is one of my favorite VIN stamping anomalies.

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK.... 92 designates a convertible <chuckle>, there should be 6 digits after the "S", and the first "1" should be a "5"? CJ did I get that right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts