Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dealing with a fellow on a 70 Eliminator which I have yet to see but he has forwarded what he thinks is the VIN and it doesn't look right to me. How many #'s/Characters are there supposed to be?

This is what he has given me....

VIN O591051670H... Body code is 55.....Trim code may be 1A

He said the door tag is faded to the point of being almost unreadable and mice have been in the car and made a nest of the insurance papers so he hasn't a lot to go on.

Any help in decoding or telling me where we're short would help a lot...

Thanks

Dale

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey~

That vin decoder gives me mostly blank lines. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
633 Posts
VIN!

This looks a little fishy to me.

The VIN's 2nd didget should be where it was built and the should be a letter. The engine code as the 5th diget but it looks like its not there it should be a letter. the last 5 digets should be the sequential number and there should not be any letters.

Also your body code should be a 65A not 55.

Have him ck the Vin in the window if he cant read the door data plate.

Also if you can get the correct VIN from him. I would suggest getting a Marti report before buying the car.

http://www.martiauto.com

You can get some Numbers to decode the vin at this site:

http://www.geocities.com/classiccougar/data1.html

Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK,

got it to work with mine. California DMV screwed up the VIN verification so it's incorrect on my title. Great, another trip to DMV. Gotta love THAT place! not.

I'm a little confused on the sequential number part.

Says it's 107,802... but it's a standard hard top, bench seat which is shown to have only like 7412 made in 67.. rrRRRR??

I'm so confused.

Robert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
OC, I believe that the sequential number represents ALL cougars being made at that particular plant. If you look back in the recent posts there is a lenghty discussion on that subject.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
VIN decode attempt

The VIN has the proper number of characters, eleven, just a little off though.

First digit, 0, not O. That is a zero, not capital letter 'o' is the proper digit for 1970

Second digit is the assembly plant, more than likely a 'F', not a 5. F = Dearborn (Detroit). T = Metuchen, NJ (Were any Cougars built in San Jose in 70? They would have the assembly plant code 'R')

The next two characters are 91 which would be a standard hardtop, which all Eliminators were (I think :D ) 92 is standard convert. 93 is XR-7 hardtop. 94 is XR-7 convert.

Fifth character is the engine code. I would guess it is a 390 which would be a 'S', although a 'Q' which could look like a '0' would indicate a 428CJ! Other Eliminator engines were 351s, and in 70 that would be a Cleveland with a code of 'M', but I don't think you could confuse a M for an O, so that's why I'm thinking FE, either a 390 or 428. Then again, there's the 'G' which would be a Boss 302.

The sixth through 11 characters are the six digit sequential number. Mercurys started with 500001, so my guess is the 50670H would probably be 506708.

When you find out more, please let us know! I wonder how close my guess is to the mark!

Milo
AKA Cougrrcj

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
wait, they didnt use the 390 is 70 did they? :confused:

·
5,470 Posts
Sixt9coug,

You're right. I was just thinking off the top of my head instead of looking it up! :1poke: I was trying to think what engine codes would have a rounded shape to them, thus the 'S', but the S-code 390 wasn't offered in 70. My bad. :eek:

That leaves either the G for Boss 302 or Q for 428CJ, and either one of those would be a real find! :D

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Little Closer...

Cougrrcj...you are pretty close to the mark on this one. The fellow has checked a little deeper and thinks he has the number now. It looks like it's 0F91Q516704....so to translate I guess it confirms it's a 70 built in Dearborne, Std. Hardtop with the 428CJ and it was the 16704th car off the line. Right?

I am going to get a Marti report on it to confirm all the goodies on it. Like one of the other posts on here, I'm having a real tough time getting this guy to commit to sell. Funny thing is, he replied to a post that I put on the net over 2 years ago looking for an Eliminator and he just called out of the blue one day and told me what he had. I told him that I'm very interested and would like to strike a deal with him....but he said he didn't really know what it was worth. So, he says he is just kicking the idea around of selling it....but I have to convince him of it.

He is the only owner of this car and bought it new from the dealer in late 69. It has 48K original miles on it and has been sitting on blocks for the last 14 years. He goes out and starts it twice a year and lets it run in 4th gear for an hour or so and then shuts it back down. The only thing he has done to it is he splashed a coat of marine paint on it about ten years ago to try and stop a little rust that was forming in the rear quarters.

Now I'm excited and want/need to have this car. Any suggestions on what a fair number might be to throw at him to see if he will part with it?

Thanks for the help in the VIN decoding guys...I appreciate it.

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Sounds like a cool cat, Now you need to go look it over to see what the marine paint is hidding. At least it shouls have a good power train. Good luck and keep us posted. Neal.

·
5,470 Posts
Car's worth

This car's worth is really gonna depend on condition (what's that Marine paint hiding) and, most importantly, is if it is a 'numbers-matching' 428CJ or if it even still has the 428 in there at all.

I'll have to ask my '428CJ-guru buddy' about quick tips to tell a 428CJ from any other FE.

As to sequential number, that is close to being the 16,704th car off the line. It really goes by when the car was ordered (I think). That whole build date and serial number issue can be a real nightmare!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Remember that in 1970, they used Q for both the ram air and non ram air 428CJ. The Marti report will let you know exactly what should be there, and whether it is an eliminator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts