Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This point of view and audio is pretty fun to hear and see..enjoy!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Nice..lol Almost makes you think he was the owner and had a finical stake in the sale, or too many free drinks.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice..lol Almost makes you think he was the owner and had a finical stake in the sale, or too many free drinks.
Oh yeah..that was my good friend Mike taping and yelling. He was able to commandeer a "guest bidders" pass from someone and thus was the designated bartender and corndog vendor for the week. I owe a lot to my friends Mike and Brian who helped put Gunner together. And Mike and I still have that Gawdawful music from the Smokey-and-the-Bandit Girls and cars stuck in our heads!

Good times. I've gotta get that on YouTube sometime..

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oh, and the car is nice too.
What Car - Lol

From what I can bidding went from :29 seconds into the video - to 1:35 seconds - so 1:06 start to hammer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i thought it went too quick also.......proly coulda scratched out a few more pesos.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
From what I saw the auctioneer had to pace the auction to draw it out as long as he did! Multiple people were raising their hands at once and not even getting recognized, they did not need to count by $10k increments, could have gone in $20k increments until it hit $100k. When it hit $150k most hands started going down, $165k was all the money from the atmosphere I witnessed.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's nice to get to hear the entire introduction. Didn't seem quite as rushed as it appeared on Speed.
I agree... seemed a lot more reasonable. Quick sale compared to other cars, yes, but are we forgetting that $165k is awesome for a Cougar? Or $181k depending on how you look at it...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I meant to repsond to this yesterday and forgot. I do feel far better about the sale after seeing this perspective. I think BJ did a decent job of it. Sure they could have talked it up some more but the bidding was slowing down pretty clearly.

On the flip side it relaly highlights how terrible SPEEDs coverage actual was of the car. I know one of the commentators made some glowing comments but the who thing should have definitely been one of the highlighted auctions of the day if not one of the fantasy bids just base don the rarity an duniqueness of the car alone. The fact they tried to cut to commercial in the middle of it to get back for their precious shelby and then didn't give it anything other than 30 seconds of camera time form 200 feet away with one brief drive by as it was rolling away, no engine shots, no undercarriage shots... Those guys need to rethink what they do and seriously ask WTF... An original 427 SO in a rare as hell, never before seen at BJ car restored to untouchable standards by the very best experts in the field...

Epic fail on speeds part imo.

Thanks for posting the video, really took a chip off my shoulder towards BJ.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
IOn the flip side it relaly highlights how terrible SPEEDs coverage actual was of the car. I know one of the commentators made some glowing comments but the who thing should have definitely been one of the highlighted auctions of the day if not one of the fantasy bids just base don the rarity an duniqueness of the car alone. The fact they tried to cut to commercial in the middle of it to get back for their precious shelby and then didn't give it anything other than 30 seconds of camera time form 200 feet away with one brief drive by as it was rolling away, no engine shots, no undercarriage shots... Those guys need to rethink what they do and seriously ask WTF... An original 427 SO in a rare as hell, never before seen at BJ car restored to untouchable standards by the very best experts in the field...

Epic fail on speeds part imo.
I think Speed did exactly what they were supposed to do which is report on and televise the auction. Just because we're a group of Cougar nerds doesn't mean that the rest of the world will be simply because Speed spoke lovingly of the GT-E. I know that they spend tons of time on COPO Chevy's and other rare GM cars but it doesn't make me a fan nor does it make me want to run out and buy one.

B-J is about money and Speed is about ratings. More popular cars will always be highlighted over niche cars like the Cougar.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree that Speed can't make everyone happy. I think they did great for the GT-E since one guy even said "For my money, the best muscle car in the auction" or something like that. Anyway, the bidders don't hear the TV commentators (do they?) so it had no effect on the bids. I do think the auctioneer could have extended it a few more seconds and I've seen two video's now. Not that it would have increased the bid, but he could have tried a little harder. I'm kind of in the minority with the prices. I root for lower prices (but I'm happy for mmmeat). Mostly because I'm Cougarless and pennyless and hope to buy one someday when I'm retired AND the house is paid off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Question, If Gunner was a 428 car would the auction price been the same? Or how much less? A well deserving price for a beautiful cougar.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Question, If Gunner was a 428 car would the auction price been the same? Or how much less? A well deserving price for a beautiful cougar.
Hard to say. It really depends on the reason the bidders are bidding. I suspect the price would be lower for an identical car with a 428-unless it was a 4 speed.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 427 was the focal point of the car. I can say that with lot of confidence. I agree with Jeff, though..a 4 speed GT-E 428CJ would be a helluva car to have at Barrett Jackson. It needs to be tested, plain and simple..but again, the 427 was really what got so many people's juices flowing over Gunner. The occasional transmission question was asked, as was the XR-7 Question, but I think it almost helped buyers think that they were getting some sort of "deal" in that it was a plain Jane car and hence kept them justifying the purchase in their heads (if that makes sense).

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I think the 427 was worth 30-50K over a 428 auto. A 428 4 speed would have narrowed that quite a bit, But The NASCAR heritage of the 427 is the big draw for the GTE.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the 427 was worth 30-50K over a 428 auto. A 428 4 speed would have narrowed that quite a bit, But The NASCAR heritage of the 427 is the big draw for the GTE.

Absolutely, Don. NASCAR heritage, LeMans heritage, and Shelby Cobra Heritage..

Here's some proof of the lack of knowlege out there about the GT-E, btw:

The Man who bought my car told me that he is a 3rd Generation Ford Dealer, and never knew about the 427 SO being in a Cougar until the week before the auction. It took a browsing through the sale list and car descriptions to get his interest, and once he did the homework, he had stars in his eyes. He then hired a SHELBY Mustang restorer (a very famous one) to come and inspect my car. That endorsement he gave brought the Man away from his busy schedule to Scottsdale on Saturday. He flew in, bought the car, and flew out just a few minutes later..

His hasty decision to pay so much for the car might very well have gotten him an actual "bargain", because you can bet that for every guy like him,there are several more out there who didn't do their homework and will have to pay more next time the opportunity comes up. Now they know about the 427 in a Cougar. And still, there are a lot more buyers out there than there are "finished" resored GT-Es. The number of other bidders out there in the crowd was a testament to that.

A lot of people with a lot of money learned about the GT-E last month..the Cat is out of the bag now.. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts