Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This one is pretty straightforward - we watch a pro (Mike Honan) apply a hood stripe decal kit on Don's 69 CJ car. It was interesting to see him troubleshoot and work his way through this tricky installation. It's a task that the average DIY-er could potentially do, but most seem to avoid it, for fear of messing it up. Maybe this video will encourage some to try it, and at the same time it may discourage others. Either way, here it is. :D If anyone has experience doing these or other decals, feel free to chime in.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Having a little trouble getting the video to run full through here for some reason, but the first thing that came to me about putting this (or any) decal on is the decal application fluid that lets you float the decal around until you have it just as you want it, then squeegee out the liquid and fix the decal in place. I used this on the radio and console bezels to position the burlwood decals I got from JCC. Seems to me it would work equally well here (but again, I haven't seem the whole video so I'll see what I think after I view it all the way through).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He did mention using some soapy fluid, but didn't end up using any for this install. Not sure why. Maybe in order to work out the "buckles", the front part of the stripe needs to stay firmly stuck in place so it doesn't slide around while you're working with the upper part.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Having a little trouble getting the video to run full through here for some reason, but the first thing that came to me about putting this (or any) decal on is the decal application fluid that lets you float the decal around until you have it just as you want it, then squeegee out the liquid and fix the decal in place. I used this on the radio and console bezels to position the burlwood decals I got from JCC. Seems to me it would work equally well here (but again, I haven't seem the whole video so I'll see what I think after I view it all the way through).

Regards,

Bob
Yup... In the vid he recommends 3 drops of dawn liquid soap in a spray bottle.

<center></center>

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Great Job !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having just put one on, it is NOT that easy. I did have an old decal and it took me and a buddy over two hours. It was worth it , it looks great.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Don a couple questions..... Has anyone ever tried one of these 69 hood stripe kits on the 67-68 Cougars? Also in the vid you state you can get them with different engine displacements 302-427 etc.... are those on your site somewhere or special order? I didn't see them with the stripe kits. Really good video thanks. I'd have no problem trying one myself. Which I will. Glenn.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If you took off the outer thin stripe it would probably fit the narrower 67-8 hood peak... We have other versions in stock, just not got them listed! We currently have black / white and silver with multiple engine sizes, with and without the cats head.

·
Registered
389 Posts
is that the original paint on the car? if not, i am having hard time following why he stuck a decal on it with it being in the shape its in...but if its original paint, then i totally understand it.

kinda like the look of it....im taking some liberties with my 68 anyway when redoing it and am thinking that whatever color i go back with im gonna do the center peak on the hood and a hood scoop maybe, in black when they paint the car....and a black vinyl top.....

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
don the silver, is it a metallic silver? and do you have it where it says 347?

+ do offer a templete of it for painting it on?
that would be sweet!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
is that the original paint on the car? if not, i am having hard time following why he stuck a decal on it with it being in the shape its in...but if its original paint, then i totally understand it.

kinda like the look of it....im taking some liberties with my 68 anyway when redoing it and am thinking that whatever color i go back with im gonna do the center peak on the hood and a hood scoop maybe, in black when they paint the car....and a black vinyl top.....
You are right... I did put lipstick on a pig. The paint is not original and it is horrid. I not only cannot afford a high end paint job at present but it really needs a $30k restoration on top of that. I plan on just leaving it as is until it REALLY needs a resto. It looked naked to me without the pinstripes and the hood stripe is the only indication that it has a CJ. The previous owner peeled off the hood stripe when it was new and when he repainted it he removed all emblems.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are right... I did put lipstick on a pig. The paint is not original and it is horrid. I not only cannot afford a high end paint job at present but it really needs a $30k restoration on top of that. I plan on just leaving it as is until it REALLY needs a resto. It looked naked to me without the pinstripes and the hood stripe is the only indication that it has a CJ. The previous owner peeled off the hood stripe when it was new and when he repainted it he removed all emblems.
hell i dont even have liptstick to put on mine...it would fall through the rust holes hahaha...(not that bad but kinda )

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nice vid. Thank you. Don, watching another vid in bed as the wife is falling asleep next to me asking me, "Is this really that interesting?" Answer: yup, sure is.

It is always a little nerve racking when you do stuff like this. I put on the trunk lid spoiler on my 03 Marauder and let me tell you, there is a serious pucker factor happening when you take a drill to perfectly good paint and start making holes in it.
Let me ask, does anyone have the hood stickers with out a hood scoop? Would they go all the way up to the edge of the hood? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Let me ask, does anyone have the hood stickers with out a hood scoop? Would they go all the way up to the edge of the hood? Thanks in advance.
Yes we do. They were in fact available without the scoop from the factory so we do offer them as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts